Dos Santos’s son charged with fraud

The son of Angola‘s former President Jose Eduardo dos Santos has been charged with fraud over an alleged illegal transfer of $500-million while he was in charge of the country’s sovereign wealth fund, prosecutors said.

Jose Filomeno dos Santos is accused of “fraud, misappropriation of funds, money laundering and associating with criminals,” deputy chief prosecutor Luis Benza Zanga told a media conference on Monday.

Nicknamed “Zenu”, Filomeno dos Santos was appointed to head the $5-billion oil-fuelled sovereign fund by his father in 2013, but then was sacked by President Joao Lourenco, who took power in January.

Former Central Bank Governor Valter Filipe da Silva was charged alongside Filomeno dos Santos, Zenga added.

The suspect transfer was made from the fund’s account with the central bank to a London branch of Credit Suisse, but the money was later returned to Angola.


A judge ordered that the two accused be released on bail and forced to surrender their passports.

“There is no leeway for this crime, even if the money has been returned to our country. We’ll see this inquiry through – there will be no excuses,” said Zenga.

Filomeno’s half-sister, Isabel dos Santos, was also sacked from her job as head of state oil giant Sonangol.

Investigators this month opened an inquiry into suspected misappropriation of funds during her time at the helm of Sonangol. Thought to be Africa’s richest woman, she has denied all of the allegations against her.

Dos Santos stepped down last year after 38 years in power. Lourenco, a former defence minister, succeeded him with a promise of cracking down on corruption. — Al Jazeera

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Agency
External source
Advertising

Eastern Cape schools to only open for grades 3, 6...

The province says the increase in Covid-19 cases has made it re-evaluate some decisions

Malawi celebrates independence day, but the first president left his...

The historical record shows that Malawi’s difficulties under Hastings Banda were evident at the very moment of the country’s founding

Gauteng health MEC Bandile Masuku’s first rule: Don’t panic

As Gauteng braces for its Covid-19 peak, the province’s MEC for health, Bandile Masuku, is putting his training to the test as he leads efforts to tackle the impending public health crisis
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday