#ZolileKhumalo killer had previous assault conviction

The KwaZulu-Natal man accused of shooting and killing a 21-year-old student from the Mangosuthu University of Technology (MUT) last Tuesday has a previous assault conviction, the Durban magistrate’s court heard on Thursday.

Thabani Mzolo, 23, allegedly shot his girlfriend Zolile Khumalo on May 2 at MUT’s Lonsdale residence, which is a privately-leased residence in the Durban CBD.

Mzolo, who is a former electrical student at MUT, took to Facebook shortly after the shooting to apparently confess to the crime.

READ MORE: #ZolileKhumalo: Students come out in numbers to protest outside court

He had been signed into Khumalo’s residence by another registered student, according to the institution.

Mzolo wore a light blue suit with a white shirt, when he appeared for the second time in court since the incident occurred.

He is charged with murder and possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition.

Residential addresses ‘proved negative’

The State submitted that Mzolo’s bail application could not proceed because the two addresses he had provided to police “proved negative”.

The State said they had verified both the Umhlanga Rocks and Estcourt addresses that Mzolo provided, but they were incorrect.

Mzolo then instructed his private lawyer Charl Claassen that the Estcourt address was the “correct address”.

But the State reiterated that Mzolo’s grandmother told them that he doesn’t live in Estcourt.

The grandmother said he comes there occasionally and he did not have any assets there, according to the State.

Magistrate Mahomed Motala said the address was a fundamental aspect during bail application.

Motala postponed Mzolo’s case to May 17, for his lawyer to take further instructions.

He would remain in custody until then. — News 24

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

SABC sued over ‘bad’ clip of Ramaphosa

A senior employee at the public broadcaster wants compensation for claims of ‘sabotage’

Soundtrack to a pandemic: Africa’s best coronavirus songs

Drawing on lessons from Ebola, African artists are using music to convey public health messaging. And they are doing it in style

In East Africa, the locusts are coming back for more

In February the devastating locust swarms were the biggest seen in East Africa for 70 years. Now they’re even bigger

Western Cape Judge Mushtak Parker faces second misconduct complaint

The Cape Bar Council says his conduct is ‘unbecoming the holding of judicial office’

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories