W. Cape suspends Equal Education’s school operations after sexual harassment claims

The Western Cape government has ordered that Equal Education “cease operations” at schools around the province until they meet to discuss a way forward, following a string of sexual harassment allegations made against the organisation.

In a statement released on Monday, Education MEC Debbie Schäfer said that the allegations of sexual harassment — revealed last week by the Mail & Guardian — were “most concerning”.

Former general secretary Tshepo Motsepe, former head of national organising Luyolo Mazwembe, and co-founder and former treasurer Doron Isaacs are all facing separate sexual harassment allegations, which they deny. None of the allegations in the public domain relate to school children or minors.

“Equal Education works in schools across the province, and whilst at least some of the allegations appear to be from people within the staff of the organisation, it is not clear whether any learners are involved. In addition, if the allegations are correct, this is hardly the type of person we need working in our schools,” Schäfer said.

She said she had written to Equal Education requesting that they furnish her with the details regarding “every interview or engagement” conducted by Motsepe, Mazwembe and Isaacs in the past year with any female learner. Schäfer said she has requested the names of learners, the schools they attend, the date of the interviews and who was present during the interviews, by Friday.

READ MORE: NGO’s sexual harassment woes grow

“Sexual abuse against young female learners is prevalent in our communities, as raised by Equal Education on a number of occasions, and it is distressing that such allegations have been made against high ranking members of their own organisation,” she said.


Equal Education has responded to Schäfer’s request to suspend the organisation’s operations in Western Cape schools, calling it unclear and unjustified. 

Read the full statement below:

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Rumana Akoob
Rumana Akoob is a former investigative journalist who is now an activist and communications specialist

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Major research crisis after investors pull funding from African Academy...

A Deloitte report highlights allegations of financial mismanagement and fraud, while salary increases for senior management exceeded the limit set by the governing council

ANC integrity body wants Ingonyama Trust gone

The party needs to review laws to ensure they do not prevent rural people from having security of tenure

Social pact needed for Marikana renewal – Adam Habib

That pact needs to be engineered by civilians, not government, says the former Wits vice-chancellor

Cosatu details plans for next week’s cost of living strike

The trade union federation is using protest to demand urgent action from the government to avoid an ‘economic collapse’
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×