To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
22 Jun 2018 18:54
The ANC in Limpopo’s elective conference faces the risk of being interdicted following a decision by a group of disgruntled members to act on their threats of heading to court.
On Saturday, the Johannesburg high court will hear an application to interdict the conference following a deadlock in negotiations between provincial leadership and members.
The unhappy members want to prevent the conference scheduled for this weekend from resuming, arguing that the mandate of the provincial executive committee (PEC) presiding over the gathering has expired.
They want the ANC’s national leadership to appoint a provincial task team to oversee a fresh round of branch nominations and preside over the conference.
Tumi Mokwena — the group’s legal representative — says the decision to head to court was made following a lengthy meeting on Thursday with the PEC which failed to yield a “favourable result”.
Earlier this week, ANC secretary general Ace Magashule said he believed all threats of legal action in the province has been defused and that it would resume as scheduled.
READ MORE: Tussle for top posts in Limpopo
“We have noted some intention by others to take the conference [matter] to court, but we have engaged them and I’m sure it’s all systems go,” Magashule said during an ANC briefing on Thursday.
Things got off to a very slow start on Friday, which should have been the first day of conference. However, registration delays ran into the evening, preventing the programme from kicking off as expected.
READ MORE: Papa Penny the populist for premier?
Saturday’s court application — which is expected to be heard at 11am — is likely to see further delays on conference proceedings.
Read more from Dineo Bendile
Create Account | Lost Your Password?