Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Nqaba Bhanga announced as DA Eastern Cape premier candidate

Nqaba Bhanga will spearhead the Democratic Alliance’s battle for the “crucial” province of the Eastern Cape as the party’s premier candidate for the 2019 elections, party leader Mmusi Maimane announced on Wednesday in Port Elizabeth.

Bhanga was elected as the party’s provincial leader during the congress of May 2017. He was originally a member of the Congress of the People (Cope) but according to Maimane, he moved to the DA in 2014 after interacting with ousted Nelson Mandela Bay mayor Athol Trollip on the “urgent need for change in the province”.

Maimane said Nqaba will carry “on his shoulders the responsibility of offering the people of this province a realistic alternative to the ANC government.”

“At 41 years of age, Nqaba is part of a new generation of DA leaders who bring with them the energy and the vision to rebuild our country after decades of misrule under the ANC,” Maimane said.

The challenges of the Nelson Mandela Bay metro

The party has spent the past two weeks in the province trying to salvage its position in the Nelson Mandela Bay metro following coalition challenges.

The DA has been accused by its coalition partners — the EFF and the United Democratic Movement (UDM) — of arrogance for allegedly making decisions on governance issues in the metro without consulting them.

In turn, the DA has lashed out at the UDM for allowing itself to be used in what it describes an EFF-ANC “coalition of corruption”.

Trollip was removed from his position during a contentious council meeting last week and was replaced by the UDM’s Mongameli Bobani.

After the meeting, Bhanga lashed out at the opposition parties, accusing them of cooperating to “fill their coffers” ahead of the 2019 elections.

“This decision by the unholy alliance of the ANC, EFF and UDM is in order to fill their own party coffers with public funds and bring looting back ahead of the 2019 elections. The ANC and the EFF have rejected the will of the people in favour of enriching themselves,” he said.

READ MORE: Trollip ousted in ‘sham’ council meeting

Maimane confirmed that the DA would file court papers to review Trollip’s removal and have it declared invalid and Trollip remains adamant that he is still the mayor.

READ MORE: DA to launch urgent court bid to challenge Trollip removal

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×