Suspect arrested in Sindiso Magaqa murder

A man has been arrested in connection with the murder of former ANCYL secretary general Sindiso Magaqa, almost a year after he died after being shot in an ambush near his home in Umzimkhulu in southern KwaZulu-Natal.

At the time of writing the suspect, who was arrested by the Hawks earlier in the week, was appearing in the Umzimkhulu magistrates court, on charges of murder, conspiracy to commit murder and two counts of attempted murder.

Reneilwe Serero, spokesperson for Minister of Police Bheki Cele, confirmed the arrest and said Cele would provide more detail in a briefing on Thursday.

A second suspect in the murder, which brought the wave of political killings in the province exacerbating the internal tensions raging in the governing party in the province since 2015, was, according to the SAPS, shot dead by police in a foiled cash in transit heist last year.

Magaqa, a proportional representation councillor on the Umzimkhulu Local Municipality, died last September after being shot and wounded in an ambush two months earlier.


Magaqa and fellow ANC councillors Jabulile Mzizi and Nonsikelelo Mafa were wounded in a hail of bullets fired into his car, in which the three were sitting after attending an ANC branch meeting at Ncambeble Primary School near Kokstad.

Magaqa survived the initial assassination attempt but died from his injuries in hospital in Durban.

At the time his family claimed that he had been poisoned, but a post mortem found this was not the case.

At Magaqa’s funeral his comrades and friends claimed that his murder was sparked by his blowing the whistle on corruption in the refurbishment of the Umzimkhulu Memorial Hall to the tune of R37 million.

Evidence that the killers may have been recruited at Durban’s Glebelands Hostel was presented to the Moerane Commission into political killings in the province, whose report will soon be made public.

Public Protector Advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane is currently investigating the corruption allegations.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Paddy Harper
Paddy Harper
Storyteller.

Related stories

Public protector clears Magashule, Joemat-Pettersson

Current ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule has been cleared of allegations that he misled the...

ANC won’t rake up its bad apples

The ruling party faces severe criticism over its reluctance to deal with leaders who are facing investigations, and its NEC is accused of selective morality

Pay our Ters, with immediate effect

The president moved pretty fast to shut down the boozers, but he’s dragging his heels when it comes to sorting out the UIF

Lockdown, day 105: When the chips are really down

Coronavirus statistics are now people we know. The pandemic affects us all and it’s hard to see light at the end of the tunnel

ConCourt settles the law on the public protector and interim interdicts

The Constitutional Court said it welcomed robust debate but criticised the populist rhetoric in the battle between Busisiwe Mkhwebane and Minister Pravin Gordhan

Two dead in new ANC KwaZulu-Natal killings

A Mtubatuba councillor and a Hammarsdale ANC Youth League leader were shot yesterday near their homes
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Eastern Cape universities concerned by rising Covid cases

Fort Hare says 26 more students have tested positive while Walter Sisulu University says some of its students have been admitted to hospital.

SAA in talks to recoup R350-million in blocked funds...

The cash-strapped national carrier is in the process of recouping its blocked funds from Zimbabwe, which could go towards financing the airline’s business rescue plan

NSFAS’s woes do not help its mandate

Nehawu wants the scheme’s administrator, Randall Carolissen, to be removed

Unions cry foul over SABC dismissal costs and retrenchments

Broadcaster bodies say claims that a recent skills audit is unrelated to retrenchments are ‘irrational’
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday