Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

DA says no notice of De Lille’s rumoured plans to stop resignation

The Democratic Alliance (DA) has once again been swept into drama over rumours that Cape Town Mayor Patricia De Lille is planning to retract her resignation, but there has been no confirmation of these reports as yet.

De Lille told the Mail & Guardian on Tuesday morning that she would release a statement in the afternoon. The mayor returned late on Monday night from London, where she was attending a summit. She is yet to respond to an investigation by Bowman Gilfillan, which implicates her in wrongdoing for failing to report tender irregularities by suspended transport commissioner Melissa Whitehead to the city council.

De Lille’s close friend and confidante Rodney Lentit had advised her to recant her resignation following the release of the report.

He referred to the report as the DA’s “exit attack” on De Lille and reports followed on Tuesday morning that she planned to resign. But he says that he received no response from De Lille to this advice.

“She hasn’t responded yet,” he said.

DA spokesperson Solly Malatsi confirmed said the party had not received word from De Lille that she plans to stay on as mayor, despite tendering her resignation.

“I can confirm the party hasn’t received any formal indication from her about her rumoured ‘reversal’ of the resignation,” Malatsi said.

Lentit claims the party deliberately released the Bowman report while De Lille was in London in an orchestrated campaign to attack her. The 1998-page report is said to have been disseminated to councillors in the City of Cape Town on Saturday.

“My advice was about protecting my mayor. The DA is trying to discredit her. Nobody is standing up for her and for me it is unacceptable that there are white men abusing her,” he said of the party.

The independent investigation by the law firm found De Lille and former city manager Achmat Ebrahim failed to report tender irregularities in relation to the payment for electronic buses from Chinese manufacturing giant BYD (Build Your Dreams), which was awarded a R286-million contract in 2016. It also says De Lille and Ebrahim failed to make similar reports to council in relation to the Foreshore Freeway Precinct project and the procurement of Volvo chassis for more than R40-million. Both the BYD and Volvo tenders were in relation to business for the MyCiti bus service.

Whitehead is implicated in all three deals.

Council will meet on Thursday to decide on if the recommendations of the report will be adopted.

De Lille earlier this year reached an understanding with the party that she would vacate her office at the end of October. Cape Town MEC for community safety Dan Plato is expected to replace her as mayor from November 1.

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Raeesa Pather
Raeesa Pather
Ra’eesa Pather is a Cape Town-based general news and features journalist.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

‘The children cannot cope any more’: Suicide in Calvinia highlights...

How Covid-19 has intensified the physical and emotional burdens placed on children’s shoulders.

Capitec Bank flies high above Viceroy’s arrow

The bank took a knock after being labelled a loan shark by the short seller, but this has not stymied its growth

More top stories

Council wants Hawks, SIU probe into BAT’s Zimbabwe scandal

The cigarette maker has been accused of giving up to $500 000 in bribes and spying on competitors

How Alpha Condé overthrew Alpha Condé

Since the coup d’état, Guinea’s head of state has been in the custody of the military officers. But it was the president who was the primary architect of his own downfall

‘The Making of Mount Edgecombe’: A view of history from...

Indian indentured labourers’ lives are celebrated in a new book, Sugar Mill Barracks: The Making of Mount Edgecombe

Case of men arrested with 19 rhino horns is postponed

Alleged rhino kingpin and a Mpumalanga businessman appeared in court on charges of the illegal possession and selling of rhino horns
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×