Anger mounts after deadly Marseille building collapse

French officials vowed to inspect all Marseille buildings “unsuitable” for habitation as anger rose over the collapse of two buildings in the Mediterranean city, where up to eight people are feared dead.

A fifth body was recovered on Wednesday morning under rubble of the dilapidated buildings, which crumbled suddenly on Monday morning in Noailles, a working-class district in the heart of the port city.

The dead include two women and three men, prosecutor Xavier Tarabeux told AFP. According to authorities, a total of five to eight people could have died in the collapse.

Interior Minister Christophe Castaner told lawmakers in Paris that he had ordered a building by building audit before an “ambitious programme for ensuring safe conditions” along with Marseille authorities.

“Nearly 6 000 properties have been identified as at risk” in the city, he said, representing some 44 000 lodgings in lower-class neighbourhoods, calling the situation unacceptable.


Rescuers have been delicately searching what is left of the buildings. A third adjoining building partially collapsed on Monday night.

Residents said Tuesday the structural risks of the buildings and others like them were widely known, but that city officials did little when alerted about them.

“Everybody knew about the problems with the two collapsed buildings,” said Patrick Lacoste, a spokesman for a local housing action group.

“People died for nothing, even though we knew.”

“It’s hell here, they know that it’s crap and now people die for nothing,” said local resident Toufik Ben Rhouma. The disaster, he added, was “100 percent the fault of city hall”.

“It’s been 10 years that I have been living here and I have never had anyone come and inspect my apartment,” said a woman who identified herself as Sophie. Her neighbour said she hadn’t seen any inspector in 27 years.

On Tuesday afternoon, some residents returned to their homes in neighbouring buildings to pack up belongings in bags and suitcases, some leaving carrying televisions with them, an AFP reporter said.

‘It could have been me’

Only one of the buildings was occupied, as the two others were in such a bad state that they had been condemned.

Google Maps images taken in recent months showed the collapsed buildings had large cracks in their facades.

People had been living in nine of the 10 apartments in one of the buildings, while a shop occupied the ground floor.

A young waiter watched the scene with tears in his eyes, anxious for news of an Italian woman who lived in the building.

“She was a great girl, she used to come and study at the bar,” he said, without giving his name.

Abdou Ali, 34, came in search of his mother after she did not come to collect her youngest son from school on Monday afternoon.

“I haven’t had any news,” he said, wandering among the rescuers.

Sophie Dorbeaux meanwhile told AFP she had left the block on Sunday night to stay with her parents because her door, like several others, was not opening or closing properly because of the building’s structural problems.

“The walls had been moving for several weeks and cracks had appeared,” the 25-year-old philosophy student said.

“It could have been me,” she added, visibly shaken.

Marseille city authorities, who have evacuated and rehoused 100 residents from nearby buildings as a precaution, believe heavy rain may have contributed to the collapse.

But the incident — rare in a major Western city — has already sparked a political row over the quality of housing available to Marseille’s poorest residents.

The neighbourhood is home to many buildings in a similarly dilapidated condition, some of them run by slum landlords.

Marseille authorities began a vast upgrade plan for the city centre in 2011.

But a 2015 government report said about 100 000 Marseille residents were living in housing that was dangerous to their health or security.

“It’s unthinkable that such things happen in our time,” said Christian Gouverneur, who owns a flat in an apartment block opposite the collapsed buildings.

© Agence France-Presse

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

French government yields on fuel price hikes after weeks of protest

An increase scheduled for January 1, was "scrapped for the year 2019" in its entirety, Environment Minister Francois de Rugy announced on BFM TV

Hooligans brawl in spite of Putin

The organised fights of Russia’s violent football superfans are facing a clampdown by the president ahead of the World Cup

Nigeria building collapse: ‘Obtaining DNA is extremely difficult’

Genetic testing to identify the remains of South Africans killed in the building collapse has not been easy, according to a new report.

Nigeria: Patients discharged from hospital after building collapse

Six people who were injured in the fatal accident have been released from an SA hospital and have been cleared of any dangerous infections.

TB Joshua’s church: Built, like others, on shifting sands

Scaffolding for hire is just a small sign of a large informal industry.

Smiles and prayers as Nigerians U-turn on co-operation

TB Joshua’s church has turned from attacking potential rescuers to helping them. So has Nigeria's government but it’s a case of too little too late.
Advertising

Subscribers only

FNB dragged into bribery claims

Allegations of bribery against the bank’s chief executive, Jacques Celliers, thrown up in a separate court case

Dozens of birds and bats perish in extreme heat in...

In a single day, temperatures in northern KwaZulu-Natal climbed to a lethal 45°C, causing a mass die-off of birds and bats

More top stories

Blast rocks Durban’s Engen refinery

Residents are being evacuated as firefighters battle to control the blaze

ConCourt asked to rule that Zuma must testify for 10...

It is Zondo's legal end game and will leave the former president, his supporters and those implicated in state capture to increasingly play fast and loose at imputing political motive to the commission

Carlos on Oozymandias’ goodbye grift

"Look on my works ye Mighty, and gimme 50 bucks!"

This is how the SIU catches crooks

Athandiwe Saba talked to the Special Investigating Unit’s Andy Mothibi about its caseload, including 1 000 Covid contracts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…