Brawn understands wall of secrecy around stricken Schumacher

The radio silence surrounding the status of stricken Formula One legend Michael Schumacher is totally understandable, his mentor at Benetton and Ferrari Ross Brawn told Press Association Sport on Wednesday.

The seven-time world champion — a record that still stands — will turn 50 on Thursday but his millions of fans are none the wiser as to what the German superstar’s state of health is.

Schumacher, who won 91 Grand Prix during his stellar career, suffered severe head injuries in a skiing accident in December 2013 and has not been seen in public since.

He is understood to be receiving medical care at the family home near Lake Geneva in Switzerland, but updates regarding his health have been few and far between.

His privacy — there have been precious few leaks about his status —has been zealously enforced by his wife Corinna.


“I am constantly in touch with Corinna, and I totally agree with their decision,” said Brawn, who is one of the few people known to have visited Schumacher.

“Michael has always been a very private person and that’s been a guiding principle in his career, his life and his family always agreed with that choice.

“It’s completely understandable that Corinna has wanted to maintain the same approach, even after the tragic event, and it’s a decision we must all respect.

“I’m sure the millions of people who are still Michael fans will understand it, too.”

Schumacher’s landmark birthday is to be marked by Ferrari — who won six constructors titles whilst he was with them from 1996-2006 — with a special exhibition titled The ‘Michael 50’.

The exhibition in the Ferrari Museum in Maranello will be run in association with the Keep Fighting Foundation launched in 2016 by the Schumacher family.

The exhibition will allow the public to discover the contribution that Schumacher — who won five of his seven drivers titles with Ferrari — made to the car’s development as a driver and later as a consultant.

Brawn also expressed his hope that the Schumacher name may once again grace Formula One through 19-year-old Mick Schumacher.

His precocious talent has already seen him crowned F3 champion in 2018 and will drive in the Formula Two Championship this year.

“Carrying that name weighs heavily but Mick manages it with great care and intelligence,” said Brawn.

“Clearly, I’d hope to see him in F1 one day, but the important thing is to let Mick grow and find his own way without creating any unnecessary expectations.”

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Agency
External source

Related stories

Coronavirus and the virtual sports revolution

In a country with more than 35 000 Covid-19-related deaths at the time of writing...

F1 flirts with a return to SA

Motosport’s top competition is dropping hints of coming back, but would we want this to happen?

Formula One faces testing times over coronavirus

The F1 world championship, which gets under way in Melbourne on March 15, had already lost the Chinese Grand Prix from its schedule

Desiré Wilson: Fast but forgotten

The South African is the only woman to ever win an F1 race, but her career was slowed down by political and financial barriers

Hamilton stirs up social media storm with pro-vegan post

The five time world champion said that the only way to save the planet is to go vegan

Sporting world mourns death of ‘true legend’ Niki Lauda

The legendary formula one driver died at the University Hospital Zurich in Switzerland on Monday night surrounded by his closest family members
Advertising

Vaccine trial results due in December

If successful, it will then have to be manufactured and distributed

White men still rule and earn more

Women and black people occupy only a few seats at the JSE table, the latest PwC report has found

The PPE scandal that the Treasury hasn’t touched

Many government officials have been talking tough about dealing with rampant corruption in PPE procurement but the majority won't even release names of who has benefited from the R10-billion spend

ANC still at odds over how to tackle leaders facing...

The ANC’s top six has been mandated to work closely with its integrity committee to tackle claims of corruption against senior party members
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday