Federer, Djokovic aim for seven

Thirtysomethings Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic share the Australian Open record with six wins, but either could make history with a magnificent seventh when the first Grand Slam of the year begins in Melbourne on Monday.

The pair face a stern challenge from youthful force Alexander Zverev, looking for a first Major as the torchbearer for the next generation.

But question marks hover over the fitness of Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray, meaning it remains to be seen whether all members of the “Big Four” will again prove a force to be ­reckoned with.

Twelve months ago Federer rolled back the years once more at the Rod Laver Arena to beat Marin Cilic in five pulsating sets and lift an ­emotional 20th Grand Slam.

It put him on a par with other six-time Australian Open winners Djokovic and Roy Emerson — but the Australian great’s victories all came before the Open era.


READ MORE: Big four in tennis still the ones to beat, says Djokovic

By contrast, the 31-year-old Djokovic endured a miserable early Melbourne exit, followed by elbow surgery and a string of disappointing results that dropped him outside the top 20. But since winning a fourth Wimbledon in July the Serb rose inexorably back to number one by losing only three matches — one of which was to Zverev at the ATP Finals.

Djokovic won his third US Open in September to put him on 14 Grand Slams — three behind Nadal and six behind Federer.

Ageless Swiss master Federer, now 37, will remain a chief threat to the Serb, but the other two members of the Big Four look to be struggling after an injury-plagued 2018.

Second-ranked Nadal (32) pulled out of his Brisbane warm-up tournament with a thigh strain although he returned for an exhibition in Sydney and insisted he was healthy.

Murray (31) looked way below his best in a second-round straight-sets Brisbane defeat to Daniil Medvedev.

“I think if we are healthy and ­playing well, the four guys still have probably the best chance to always win Slams,” said Djokovic.

But the Serb warned that “the next generation is already there” and picked young guns Zverev of Germany, Borna Coric of Croatia, Karen Khachanov of Russia and Greece’s Stefano Tsitsipas as key threats to the Big Four, who have won a staggering 49 of the past 56 Grand Slams stretching back to 2004.

“It’s just a matter of time when we will see some of them competing in the last stages of Grand Slams,” said Djokovic.

Zverev (21) starts the Australian Open full of confidence after an impressive warm-up in Perth’s mixed teams Hopman Cup, despite his ­terrible record at Grand Slams.

The German has never progressed beyond the third round in Melbourne. Last year, seeded four, he crashed out in the last 32 to South Korea’s Chung Hyeon and has only reached one quarterfinal in his 14 Major appearances.

Federer seems to thrive at the start of the year and begins his campaign on the back of winning the Hopman Cup. He is hunting a third successive Australian Open after last year becoming the oldest world number one in the 45-year history of the ATP rankings.

“[Pete] Sampras once upon a time said, ‘If you win a Slam, it’s a good season’,” said Federer, now ranked three, who skipped Roland Garros and had disappointing exits at Wimbledon and the US Open.

“I played super well in Australia again. So obviously I can’t wait to go back there. I’m very proud that, at 37, I’m still so competitive.”

Murray’s hip surgery meant he played just six events in 2018, and Nadal’s truncated 2018 campaign was bookended by injuries that forced to him to retire in both the Australian and the US Opens.

But the Spanish king of clay still managed to win five titles including a record-extending 11th French Open.

World number five Argentinian Juan Martín del Potro, beaten by Djokovic in the US Open final, will miss Melbourne after fracturing his patella in Shanghai in October.

And Cilic, who pushed Federer all the way in the final last year, heads into the tournament after pulling out of a warm-up event in India last week with an injured knee.

Home fans will look to Alex de Minaur and Nick Kyrgios, but the latter is searching for form after a troubled 2018 and tumbled out of the Brisbane warm-up, where he was defending champion, in the second round. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

‘No-vax’ Djokovic against compulsory coronavirus vaccination

The Serbian tennis ace, who is in lockdown in Spain, spoke out against being forced to receive a vaccination in order to travel to tournaments

Sharapova ends a career that was stuff of Hollywood

The Russian shot to international fame as a giggly 17-year-old Wimbledon winner in 2004, the third youngest player to conquer the All England Club’s famous grass courts

Do we finally have a reason to be excited about tennis in SA?

After years of struggle, the sport seems to be taking some genuine steps in the right direction at local level

Aussie Open may herald new era

“The young guns are missing a bit of guts. A bit of balls. A bit of ‘Okay, I’m here and I want...

Will bushfires affect Australian Open tennis?

Here are the implications the Australian fires might have on tennis players as they gear up for the first grand slam of the new decade

Nadal wins 19th Slam title by edging five-set US Open thriller

At four hours and 50 minutes, the match finished four minutes short of equaling the longest final in US Open history
Advertising

Subscribers only

Covid-19 surges in the Eastern Cape

With people queuing for services, no water, lax enforcement of mask rules and plenty of partying, the virus is flourishing once again, and a quarter of the growth is in the Eastern Cape

Ace prepares ANC branches for battle

ANC secretary general Ace Magashule is ignoring party policy on corruption-charged officials and taking his battle to branch level, where his ‘slate capture’ strategy is expected to leave Ramaphosa on the ropes

More top stories

‘We struggle for water, but power stations and coal mines...

A proposed pipeline will bring water polluted with Gauteng’s sewage to the Waterberg in Limpopo to boost the coal industry during the climate crisis

Journey through anxious Joburg

A new book has collected writing about the condition of living, yes, with a high crime rate, but also other, more pervasive existential urban stresses particular to the Global South

Football legend Maradona dies

The Argentinian icon died at his home on Wednesday, two weeks after having surgery on a blood clot in his brain

Covid vaccines: Hope balanced with caution

As Covid vaccines near the manufacturing stage, a look at two polio vaccines provides valuable historical insights
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…