Court orders that Mahumapelo resume duties as ANC NW chairperson

The Pretoria high court has ruled that Supra Mahumapelo should return to his office and resume his responsibilities as ANC North West chairperson immediately.

This, after Mahumapelo and four others approached the court on Tuesday on an urgent basis, asking for it to enforce last week’s ruling to overturn the ANC national executive committee’s (NEC) decision to disband his provincial executive committee (PEC).

Last week, Judge Fayeeza Kathree-Setiloane handed down judgment in the Johannesburg high court, reinstating the PEC and nullifying the provincial task team, which was established by the NEC as an interim structure.

On Tuesday, the five applicants’ legal representatives, advocates Dali Mpofu and Tembeka Ngcukaitobi, told the court the PEC should be reinstated, even if its term of office expires this week, arguing that the ANC’s secretary general, Ace Magashule, had put a moratorium on conferences until after the 2019 general elections, which would allow the PEC to complete its work.

Kathree-Setiloane, who also heard the matter in Pretoria, directed Magushule to take immediate and direct steps to ensure compliance with the court order.


“The order pending the application of leave to appeal the order of 6 February is brought into operation.”

PEC member and first applicant in the matter, Aaron Motshwana, complained that they felt they had no option but to force the ANC NEC – the governing party’s highest decision-making body between conferences – to honour the court order.

He complained that the PEC was not being allowed space to self-determine, and questioned the ANC’s decision to challenge some aspects of Friday’s ruling.

The ANC, however, has said it accepted that its decision to disband the provincial structure was wrong according to the courts, but said it needed to challenge aspects of Kathree-Setiloane’s ruling regarding the NEC’s authority. — News24

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Matshidiso Madia
Tshidi Madia
Love & Light•Journalist•decided to call myself a lover of things cause you know.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Ithala fails to act against board chairperson over PPE scandal

Morar asked to settle with the state and pay back the profit he made on an irregular tender

Vodacom swindled out of more than R24m worth of iPhones

A former employee allegedly ran an intricate scam to steal 8700 phones from the cellular giant

More top stories

What is EFF’s party funding quest?

Its court application to force disclosure of donations to Cyril Ramaphosa may mask a bid to portray him as a capitalist puppet

‘Extreme’ tactics and lockdown buy rhino more time

The Rockwood Conservation reserve boasts zero poaching incidents in six years and its breeding project is successful, but costly

North West premier in phone tapping claims

‘Agents’ working for Job Mokgoro allegedly tapped ANC and cabinet members’ phones

Judicial Conduct Committee orders Mogoeng to apologise for his remarks...

The JCC said that by the chief justice straying into politics, he breached the judicial conduct code and ordered him to issue an apology and retraction
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…