Aid agencies rush to bring aid to Mozambique cyclone survivors

Aid agencies rushed Tuesday to deliver emergency relief to thousands of survivors marooned on two Mozambican islands after one of the most powerful cyclones ever to hit Africa smashed into the country’s north.

Teams in white hard hats and green overalls loaded dozens of boxes of high-calorie biscuits and medicines onto two large cargo helicopters — which can carry three tonnes each — one destined for Ibo Island and the other for Quissanga.

“The priority is getting aid to Ibo because it hasn’t been reached yet,” Deborah Nguyen, spokeswoman for World Food Programme (WFP) said on the tarmac at Pemba airport next to a large white Mil Mi-8 cargo chopper being loaded.

Heavy rain delayed liftoff, and high winds pummelling the area raised fears the relief efforts could be further delayed.

But WFP spokesman Herve Verhoosel later told reporters in Geneva that the first flight had taken off for Quissanga with 2.88 metric tonnes of high-energy biscuits, a tone of food from the government and 100 kilogrammes of health and sanitary supplies.

The islands of Quissanga (50 000 inhabitants) and Ibo (13 000), just off the coast of Mozambique, suffered massive devastation, according to relief agencies working in the area.

More rain 

Cyclone Kenneth killed at least 38 people and destroyed thousands of homes in Mozambique.

It washed away roads, submerged fields, and wrecked buildings just weeks after Cyclone Idai devastated the Mozambican city of Beira, 1 000 kilometres to the south.

Kenneth made landfall late Thursday in Cabo Delgado province, packing wind gusts of up to 220 kilometres per hour — hitting a region that has not experienced a tropical cyclone since the satellite era.

Further rains are predicted for the coming days, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).


Figures provided by Mozambique authorities to NGOs show that about 200 000 people in Pemba city, the capital of Cabo Delgado, are in danger.

The National Institute of Disaster Management (INGC) said 39 people have been treated for injuries so far, while more than 23,000 are without shelter and nearly 35,000 homes were partly or wholly destroyed.

Before smashing into Mozambique, the cyclone hit the Comoros islands, killing at least four people and damaging 75 000 homes, according to OCHA.

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Gregory Walton
Gregory Walton
Southern Africa correspondent at AFP
Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday