All Sibanye miners brought to surface — DMR

All 1 800 miners who were trapped underground on Tuesday have been brought to surface, the department of mineral resources confirmed in a statement on Tuesday.

It is believed that the workers were trapped at the company’s Thembelani mine after the rails used to transport workers collapsed.

The workers entered the mine on Tuesday morning and the incident happened around lunch time, when the shift would normally end, Sibanye-Stillwater spokesperson James Wellsted told EWN on Tuesday.

Just before 9pm, the department confirmed on its official Twitter account that around 1 000 employees had been safely brought to surface.

Speaking to News24, Wellsted said that the workers were not trapped, but that they were “stuck” after an incident in the shaft. No injuries had been reported at the time, he added.

This latest incident has revived concerns about safety at Sibanye operations. Earlier this year, almost 1 000 miners were trapped underground in a Sibanye Gold mine in Welkom for more than 24 hours after an electrical outage during a storm in the area. All 955 workers were rescued without incident. 

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Kiri Rupiah
Kiri Rupiah is the online editor at the Mail & Guardian.
Advertising

Schools: Confusion rather than clarity and confidence reign

The way in which Angie Motshekga has handled the reopening of schools has caused many people to lose confidence in her

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday