Khashoggi son defends Saudi against critics ‘exploiting’ murder

The son of murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who has denied a financial settlement with the government, spoke out in defence of the kingdom Tuesday ahead of the first anniversary of the killing.

Khashoggi — a royal family insider turned critic — was killed and dismembered at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2 2018, in an operation that reportedly involved 15 agents sent from Riyadh. His body was never found.

Eleven unidentified suspects have been on trial in Riyadh, with five of them facing the death penalty.

Salah Khashoggi said he had “full confidence” in the judicial system, and hit out at opponents he said were seeking to exploit the case.

“A year has gone by since the passing of my beloved father. During this time, opponents and enemies in the East and West sought to exploit his case… to undermine my country and leadership,” he said in a tweet.

“I will not accept that his memory and case be taken advantage of to achieve that after his passing,” said Salah, who resides in the kingdom.

“I have full confidence in the kingdom’s judicial system and in its ability to serve justice to those behind this heinous crime,” he said.

The Washington Post reported on April 1 that Khashoggi’s children, including Salah, had received multimillion-dollar homes and were being paid thousands of dollars per month by authorities.

Both the CIA and a UN special envoy have directly linked de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to the murder, a charge the kingdom denies.

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Agency
External source

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Eskom and unions reach wage agreement, workers back at work

The power utility warned that the system would take some time to recover because maintenance work had been postponed because of the unprotected strike

Start of State Security Agency R1-million theft case delayed

Thuso Oesi, a former SSA administrator accused of fraud, did not arrive in court for medical reasons

Why government would fall short of cash if the fuel...

But restructuring the Road Accident Fund levy would reduce pressure on consumers

Gordhan’s Eskom ‘blame game’ underwhelms ANC leaders

Sources at a meeting of the national executive committee said a call was made to shift the power utility to Gwede Mantashe’s ministry of minerals and resources
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×