A post template

No image available
/ 1 September 2006

‘We didn’t come here to be killed’

About 60 Somalis have been killed and another 15 injured in the Western Cape in the past two months in a deliberate attempt to chase businessmen from the African country out of Cape Town’s townships, according to the Somali residents. They said 29 Somali businessmen had been killed in August alone, mostly in Khayelitsha.

No image available
/ 1 September 2006

Straight talker

Slam poetry used to have an element of hipness about it, but today I would rather be bludgeoned with a blunt object than be trapped in a crowded, dimly lit room being forced to clap to the garbage coming out of the microphone. But then there’s Odidi Mfenyana’s Rhythms Down My Spine – a one-man nu-cabaret that is currently doing the rounds in Cape Town, writes Fidel Mbhele.

No image available
/ 31 August 2006

Exotic monkeys find new home in Gauteng

In a twist to the oft-told tale of humans encroaching on the wild habitats of Africa, dozens of exotic animals have made a middle-class Gauteng suburb their permanent address. ”Don’t mind the mess,” says Debbie Mills as she unlocks the front gates to reveal a cage-lined driveway where monkeys play with snacks of sugary cereal and fruit cocktail.

No image available
/ 31 August 2006

State: Dropping charges not in public interest

Public interest ”demands” that former deputy president Jacob Zuma is not granted a permanent stay of prosecution, the state argued in heads of argument filed in the Pietermaritzburg High Court on Thursday. The state said: ”We submit that there is a compelling public interest in ensuring that the guilt or innocence of the accused is judicially determined after a full and open hearing.”

No image available
/ 31 August 2006

ANCYL: Kebble murder allegations malicious

The African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) expressed dismay on Thursday at allegations by a vagrant about the death of mining magnate Brett Kebble. ”The allegations that the killers are known to the ANCYL and its leadership are at best ridiculous, at worst malicious, and are nothing else but flagrant fabrication,” ANCYL said in a statement.

No image available
/ 31 August 2006

UN: Iran has failed to meet nuclear deadline

The United Nations nuclear agency declared Iran had failed to halt nuclear work by a Thursday deadline, and Tehran defied the threat of sanctions by vowing never to abandon a programme the West fears could give it atom bombs. ”The Iranian nation will never abandon its obvious right to peaceful nuclear technology,” Iranian state radio quoted President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as saying.