A post template

No image available
/ 23 August 2006

New Cell C boss aims to ‘turn business around’

Unlisted mobile services provider Cell C on Wednesday reported a 23% rise in net profits to R199,3-million for the six months ended June. Jeffrey Hedberg, new Cell C CEO, commented: "While certain key performance indicators reflect that we are moving in the right direction, I am not pleased with our performance over the first six months of 2006."

No image available
/ 23 August 2006

Mass action planned for September 1

Rolling mass action by South African Transport and Allied Workers’ Union (Satawu) and other affiliates of the Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) has been scheduled for Friday September 1 as a show of solidarity with the cleaning sector, "whose conditions of work are characterised by low wages and poor working conditions", Satawu said on Wednesday.

No image available
/ 23 August 2006

De Villiers back for Boks, Smith out

Centre Jean de Villiers is in the South African team to play New Zealand in Pretoria on Saturday but the Springboks were hit with another serious injury blow on Wednesday. Loose forward Juan Smith injured a left thigh muscle in practice on Wednesday and was ruled out of Saturday’s Test.

No image available
/ 23 August 2006

Gaza group claims kidnapping of journalists

A previously unknown militant group in Gaza claimed responsibility on Wednesday for the kidnapping nine days ago of two Fox journalists and demanded the United States release ”Muslim prisoners” within 72 hours. ”Release what you have, and we will release what we have,” the ”Holy Jihad Brigades” said in a statement.

No image available
/ 23 August 2006

Court to rule on same-sex intestate succession

On Thursday the Constitutional Court will hear an application on whether life partners in a same-sex relationship may inherit intestate estates as though they were spouses. The court’s senior registrar, Martie Stander, said on Wednesday that the case of Mark Gory versus Daniel Gerhardus Kolver and others was due to be heard on Thursday.

No image available
/ 23 August 2006

Burundi says it has evidence against ex-president

Burundi’s government has evidence linking a former president to an alleged plot to assassinate his successor and overthrow the government, a public prosecutor said on Wednesday. Domitien Ndayizeye was arrested on Monday, joining more than a half dozen people, including two former high-ranking officials and a dissident rebel, already jailed on suspicion of involvement in the plot.