A post template

No image available
/ 13 July 2006

Still no word on new Bafana coach

The name of the man to take the South African senior soccer team to the 2010 World Cup will remain a secret for a few more weeks, as he does not exist. South African Football Association CEO Raymond Hack on Thursday admitted that they are yet to receive recommendations from the technical committee led by Sturu Pasiya.

No image available
/ 13 July 2006

Burundi peace talks remain stalled

Peace talks aimed at bringing a final end to Burundi’s 13-year civil war hung in limbo on Thursday with the government and rebels still at odds over basic issues, officials said. The stalled negotiations had been set to resume on Thursday in Tanzania’s commercial capital of Dar es Salaam after a one-week suspension called by South African mediators.

No image available
/ 13 July 2006

SAA ‘hijacking’: Accused denied bail

The Zimbabwean student accused of trying to hijack a South African Airways (SAA) domestic flight last month was denied bail in the Bellville Magistrate’s Court on Thursday. Tinashe Rioga (21) had failed to prove the exceptional circumstances necessary for bail to be granted, Magistrate Suzette Marais ruled.

No image available
/ 13 July 2006

Manhunt launched after heist at Bloemfontein airport

Free State police have launched a manhunt for a gang who robbed a chartered aircraft at the Bloemfontein airport of an undisclosed amount of money early on Thursday. Police spokesperson Captain Elsa Gerber said a group of between eight and ten men stopped their Ford bakkie in front of the Baron Beachcraft twin prop plane at around 7.45am, preventing the pilot from taking off.

No image available
/ 13 July 2006

Antarctic under threat as thirst for oil grows

Declining oil reserves and soaring prices could see desperate nations overturning a ban on drilling in the last untouched frontier — Antarctica, an oil expert told a scientific conference on Thursday. Pressure to exploit the pristine, icy continent could become irresistible, said Ali Bakhtiari, a former senior adviser for the National Iranian Oil Company.

No image available
/ 13 July 2006

Saddam on hunger strike for five days

Saddam Hussein and three of his co-defendants have been on hunger strike for five days in protest at court procedures and the killing of their defence lawyers, the United States military said on Wednesday. A spokesperson, who declined to identify the other three, said all four had refused meals since Friday evening but were in good health. Saddam’s lawyer said the protest had lasted for seven days and he was concerned about the former president’s health.