A consultant at the Waterfront branch of Rennies Travel Service, who allegedly stole R250 000 from her employer, told the Cape Town Regional Court she was a victim of a witchcraft scam.
The marathon trial of suspended police director Andre Lincoln (41) on theft and fraud charges allegedly involving R300 000, is drawing to a close.
Cape Town’s first city-wide, uniform rate for residents and businesses alike is to be an effective 1c in the rand.
THE level of crime in South Africa was gradually dropping, thanks to the sterling work of the police and the co-operation of the public, newly-appointed Safety and Security Minister Charles Nqakula told reporters on Tuesday.
Battered by claims that it received funds from alleged German fraudster Jurgen Harksen, the Democratic Alliance (DA) on Thursday appointed independent auditors Ernst and Young to conduct a forensic audit of donations to the party.
The number of people arrested in connection with diamond dealing in the Northern and Western Cape during the final phase of Operation Solitaire on Wednesday has reached 33.
Sixty government and wine industry delegates from Argentina, Australia, Canada, Chile, New Zealand, South Africa and the US attended the World Wine Trade Group (WWTG) meeting in Cape Town.
A boy’s innocent comment to his mother about sucking cheese off their boarder’s penis led to the boarder’s conviction on Thursday on two counts of indecent assault involving children
The Democratic Alliance on Monday called on the government to answer allegations made last week that South Africa was selling equipment used to develop nuclear weapons to Iraq.
Luyanda Mboniswa, the security guard accused of killing first lady Marike de Klerk, confessed his role in the murder to the investigating officer, the Cape High Court heard on Friday.
German fraud suspect Jurgen Harksen on Thursday recanted on earlier testimony to the Desai Commission, saying he had been mistaken about his reasons for cancelling a cheque for the Democratic Alliance.
”Teddy Bear” rapist Malcolm Egglestone who raped a teenage girl and kidnapped and indecently assaulted others should be jailed for a long time, the Cape Town Regional Court heard on Tuesdsay.
The stranding of the Jolly Rubino off the St Lucia estuary had led to claims totalling almost R15-million for one of Santam’s underwriting agencies, Associated Marine Underwriting Agency (Amua).
The office of Western Cape premier Marthinus van Schalkwyk has confirmed that a written threat against him by right-wing militants has been referred to the police.
A leading South African drug expert has called for the partial decriminalisation of dagga, and further debate on the way forward.
Four people including two children were shot and wounded by two gunmen in Lenton Road, Bishop Lavis in Cape Town on Wednesday, Western Cape police said
WESTERN CAPE MEC for local government Willem Doman on Sunday said the arrears in service payments to municipalities has to be addressed.
The Democratic Alliance in the Cape says it has ”taken a decision” on the findings of a party probe into provincial leader Gerald Morkel’s links with fugitive German businessman Jurgen Harksen.
The case against 12 Greenpeace environmental activists has been postponed until Friday for further investigation.
No image available
/ 27 September 2001
Hundreds of Capetonians last Saturday bade farewell to five-year-old Sibongile Mazeka.
South Africa’s ruling ANC romped home in a municipal by-election in KwaDukuza/Stanger in KwaZulu-Natal held on Wednesday. It raised its percentage of the vote from just over 60% in the previous election in the ward to over 90%, according to the Independent Electoral Commission.