No image available
/ 24 May 2007

Parreira throws down gauntlet and picks McCarthy

While the South African Football Association continued to fiddle over the hot-potato issue of Benni McCarthy, Bafana Bafana coach Carlos Alberto Parreira threw down the gauntlet and selected him for the African Nations Cup qualifier against Chad on June 2. ”My job is to select the strongest possible Bafana squad,” said the forthright former Brazil World Cup coach.

No image available
/ 24 May 2007

Govt: World Cup failure is not an option

Failure is not an option in South Africa’s hosting of the 2010 Soccer World Cup, Deputy Sports and Recreation Minister Gert Oosthuizen said on Thursday. ”It’s not just a South African dream whose success is non-negotiable … failure is not an option,” Oosthuizen told a conference in Johannesburg on the role of local government in the tournament.

No image available
/ 24 May 2007

Motlanthe calls for alliance unity

A ”facade” of unity in the tripartite alliance based solely upon the need to look united to the world is not sufficient, African National Congress secretary general Kgalema Motlanthe said on Thursday. ”No less than at any other point in our history, South Africa today needs the alliance to lead the struggle for a new and fundamentally better society,” he said.

No image available
/ 24 May 2007

Cosatu gears up for Cape Town march

The Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) expects about 20 000 public servants to take part in Friday’s march through central Cape Town, the first called by the federation in the city since last year’s security sector protest. That event was marred by looting, violence and damage to public and private property before it was broken up by police.

No image available
/ 24 May 2007

Acsa beefs up security at airports

International travellers carrying liquids and gels in containers larger than 100ml as hand luggage will have their goods confiscated at check-in points, the Airports Company South Africa (Acsa) said on Thursday. Acsa was briefing the media on their new security measures, which are to be applied at three South African international airports from June 1.

No image available
/ 24 May 2007

Manuel not keen on World Bank job

Finance Minister Trevor Manuel does not want to be president of the World Bank, despite having his name bandied about as a possible contender, it was reported on Thursday. ”It has not even crossed my mind,” he said, but added that he was aware that his name had been thrown about as a possible successor.

No image available
/ 24 May 2007

Tell-all sex blog targets SA celebrities

A new blog that purports to be written by a former male prostitute in South Africa has become the focus of a criminal investigation into claims of defamation. The blog, hosted on an international blogging platform and active since April this year, contains descriptions of the alleged sexual behaviour of prominent South Africans.

No image available
/ 24 May 2007

Tutu urges world to speak on arms treaty

The developing world must press for a strong treaty to limit the trade in conventional arms, which is ”dangerously out of control”, Nobel Laureate Desmond Tutu said on Thursday. A total of 153 countries at the United Nations voted last year to start work on the treaty, recognising the need to control the sale of arms.

No image available
/ 24 May 2007

Ali Funeka stripped of boxing title

Mdantsane fighter Ali Funeka was finally stripped of his title by Boxing South Africa (BSA) on Wednesday for refusing to defend it against top contender Godfrey Nzimande. BSA said Funeka was relieved of the title due to his failure to respond to numerous letters ordering him to honour the defence of his title.

No image available
/ 24 May 2007

Bank eyes food, oil impact on inflation

South Africa’s central bank was closely watching whether another round of oil and food price increases widens inflation, and it would take action if this occured, Governor Tito Mboweni said on Wednesday. ”If we see second-round effects coming through it is prudent for the central bank to tighten monetary policy,” Mboweni said in a speech in Cape Town.

No image available
/ 24 May 2007

State to contest Shaik freedom bid

The state is expected to argue in the Constitutional Court on Thursday why Schabir Shaik should not get leave to appeal against his conviction for corruption and fraud, his 15-year prison term and the seizure of his assets. Shaik was convicted in June 2005 on two counts of corruption and one of fraud.

No image available
/ 23 May 2007

Public-sector talks to resume as strike looms

Public-sector unions are expected to meet the state in the Public Service Coordinating Bargaining Council next week in a last-ditch attempt to avert a strike. Bargaining council general secretary Shamira Huluman said the employer had sent a request for a meeting on May 28 and 29. Unions had been given until Thursday to say if they would attend, she said.

No image available
/ 23 May 2007

Cape Town unveils housing-upgrade plan

The City of Cape Town on Wednesday unveiled a two-year plan to provide essential services to all 222 informal settlements within its boundary. The plan, which would see every household given access to water, sanitation and area lighting, would cost R63,4-million, Mayor Helen Zille told a media briefing.

No image available
/ 23 May 2007

Manto backs wider HIV treatment

South Africa’s health minister said on Wednesday she favoured expanding access to HIV/Aids treatments in her first public appearance since having a liver transplant. Manto Tshabalala-Msimang said making HIV-treatment and support programmes more available to those infected with the virus was the linchpin of the government’s prevention strategy.

No image available
/ 23 May 2007

Minister: Public-service wage talks to resume

The government and public-sector unions are to meet again this week on deadlocked wage talks and an impending strike by public servants. The talks were needed to ”refine issues around the agreement on the table” and to hear ”specific demands from unions”, Public Service and Administration Minister Geraldine Fraser-Moleketi said on Wednesday.

No image available
/ 23 May 2007

Radebe ‘in the dark’ over Gauteng monorail

Transport Minister Jeff Radebe said on Wednesday he is ”in the dark” about a proposed R12-billion monorail between Soweto and Johannesburg. The first he knew about the project was when he read about it in the media. The Gauteng provincial government did not ”consult, discuss or seek our approval” for the project, he said.

No image available
/ 23 May 2007

Still no teaching in Khutsong

There was still no schooling in Khutsong on Wednesday although teachers had agreed on Sunday that teaching would resume in the township, the Khutsong Learners’ Forum (RCL) said. ”Grade 12 learners went to school as they usually do but teaching did not take place,” said RCL president Sibusiso Kula, adding that teachers had also arrived at schools.

No image available
/ 23 May 2007

New traffic system is faster, says Radebe

The controversial new electronic traffic information system (eNaTIS) is performing transactions twice as fast as the system it replaced, MPs heard on Wednesday. It is currently operating at an average rate of 619 000 transactions a day, Transport Minister Jeff Radebe told members of Parliament’s transport portfolio committee.

No image available
/ 23 May 2007

Gender commission focuses on salary discrepancies

The issue surrounding salary discrepancies in the workplace needs to be taken seriously, the Commission on Gender Equality said on Wednesday. The commission was responding to reports indicating that women are still being paid lower salaries than their male colleagues. What struck a cord was a report that the media is among the defaulters.

No image available
/ 23 May 2007

IFP: We have proof of advertising-ban claim

The Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) on Wednesday claimed it had proof that KwaZulu-Natal Premier S’bu Ndebele ordered provincial government departments to cease advertising in the Sunday Tribune. On March 1, IFP KwaZulu-Natal caucus leader Lionel Mtshali released a statement that the provincial government had pulled R200 000-worth of advertising.

No image available
/ 23 May 2007

White sticks with his tried and trusted

South Africa coach Jake White has gone with tried and tested combinations for Saturday’s first of two Tests against England. Ten of the 15 players selected in the starting team featured in last weekend’s Super 14 final between the Sharks and Bulls. The one surprise selection is that of winger Ashwin Willemse, who has struggled with numerous injuries.