To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
25 Nov 2007 07:53
An Austrian national was shot and killed at Selborne Estate, which is enclosed by electric fencing, in Durban south, KwaZulu-Natal police said on Saturday.
Superintendent Zandra Hechter said the 46-year-old man booked into the estate at about 3pm on Friday and went to play a round of golf. His body was discovered on the course at about 6pm by a security guard.
He had been shot in the chest.
While the motive for the shooting may have been robbery, Hechter said all the man’s personal belongings were later found in his room.
Members of the Austrian embassy visited the estate and steps were taken to inform the man’s family.
Selborne chief executive Alan Vels on Saturday said the man had travelled to the estate in his private capacity. No link has been established between him and a Fifa delegation currently visiting the province.
Austrian honorary consul Gerald Seitter said authorities in Austria had been busy since Sunday morning trying to contact the man’s wife. Once she has been informed of his death, the businessman’s name will be released.
Seitter said it appeared the man had booked into the estate for about a week, taking a break during a lengthy business trip. As far as he was aware the only thing taken from him was a cellphone.
Seitter said he was impressed with the police and he was “90% sure” that the man was not linked in any way to the Fifa delegation attending Sunday’s preliminary World Cup draw in Durban.
He said an official statement from the Austrian embassy in Pretoria would likely be issued once the man’s wife had been informed of his death.—Sapa
Create Account | Lost Your Password?