Rebels advance on Chadian capital

Fighting broke out between Chadian rebels and government forces just north of the capital on Saturday, both sides said, as France prepared to evacuate its nationals in the face of the rebel advance.

“Fighting between government forces and rebels has started at about 20km north of Ndjamena,” a military source said, adding there was more or less an equal number of forces on both sides.

“The fighting is taking place at the northern entrance to the city,” confirmed rebel spokesperson Abakar Tollimi by satellite telephone. He said the government troops were “scattering”, adding of President Idriss Déby Itno: “He will fall today, it’s sure.”

Heavy weapons fire could be heard in the capital on Saturday, although the situation there was calm. Witnesses reported seeing troops heading out of town.

The French embassy overnight began grouping its nationals to prepare for possible evacuation.
About 1 500 French citizens live in Chad, 85% of them in Ndjamena.

Tollimi said he was in eastern Chad with a “large convoy” of rebels.

A convoy of 300 pick-ups, each capable of carrying between 10 and 15 men, has been advancing on Ndjamena since Monday, when they left rear bases across the border in western Sudan’s Darfur.

The offensive—the biggest since April 2006—comes after rebel leaders Timan Erdimi, Mahamat Nouri and Adbelwahid Aboud Makaye joined forces in mid-December after a previous peace pact with Déby Itno fell apart.

They were stopped on Friday, when Chad’s general staff said the army had engaged a large group of rebels at Massaguet, about 50km north-east of the capital, and “entirely destroyed this column after 40 minutes of fighting”.

“The Massaguet battle was very violent. The army did not succeed in pushing forward,” a Chadian military source, loyal to Déby Itno, said.

Chadian Foreign Minister Amad Allam-Mi said late on Friday the rebel attack against Ndjamena had been repelled. “The rebels were defeated after serious clashes; the capital is calm and under control,” he said.

But when asked by telephone whether the rebels could take the capital, he said: “Everything is possible. We cannot rule out anything; the rebels are well armed and equipped.” He blamed Sudan for supporting the rebels.

Erdimi insisted his side had won the day, saying by satellite phone: “We completely smashed them, but Déby was able to escape. Now we are between Massaguet and Ndjamena. We are coming to Ndjamena.”

An Ndjamena military source said the president had been at the front but had returned to the capital.

As the fighting continued, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in Geneva said it had evacuated about 160 “non-essential” staff from Ndjamena to Cameroon.

France, meanwhile, flew a combat unit of 126 extra troops into Chad to join the 1 100 permanently posted there.

A UN statement said Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, currently visiting Kenya, was “deeply concerned at the resumption of fighting in Chad” and reiterated the “UN’s condemnation of the use of military means to seize power”.

EU Development Commissioner Louis Michel on Friday also condemned “any attempt at an armed takeover”.

The rebel offensive began the week an EU peacekeeping force was due to start deploying advance troops in Chad and the neighbouring Central African Republic to protect civilians and refugees from the Darfur conflict.

The European mission announced on Friday a temporary delay in troop flights to Ndjamena, one with a dozen Austrian soldiers and two with about 50 Irish soldiers and equipment.—Sapa-AFP

Francesco Fontemaggi

Francesco Fontemaggi

Francesco Fontemaggi is a diplomatic correspondent for Agence France Presse in Washington, D.C. His work has also appeared in MSN, Business Insider, Channel 7, Seven News, Yahoo, Le Figaro, and France 24. Read more from Francesco Fontemaggi