Britain says North Sea incident ‘contained’

Britain evacuated of oil workers from a North Sea accommodation platform on Sunday after reports of a bomb threat but officials said the incident was quickly contained and there was no need to send in a bomb squad.

Fourteen helicopters and a Nimrod reconnaissance aircraft were sent to the Safe Scandinavia platform in the Britannia oil field, 210km north-east of the Scottish city of Aberdeen, following a security alert, officials said.

Sky News said the evacuation followed a bomb threat, apparently made by a woman on board, but officials would not confirm the nature of the security alert. Sky later quoted sources as saying the episode was being treated as a hoax.

There was no information immediately available on whether the incident had affected production.

A police spokesperson said the incident had been ”very quickly contained from a police point of view”. Nobody had been arrested, she said.

”It is understood the incident was sparked by comments made by a woman on the installation,” said a spokesperson for the Kinloss Royal Air Force (RAF) base in Scotland, which had aircraft involved in the operation.

The Ministry of Defence in London was preparing to send a bomb-disposal team but a spokesperson said later the bomb squad had been stood down. ”I think everybody is safe,” a ministry spokesperson said.

A spokesperson for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency said about 500 oil workers were being evacuated to other platforms and there were no reports of any injuries.

BBC News 24 quoted sources as saying the incident was not terrorist-related.

The RAF spokesperson said 14 helicopters were involved in the operation.

”There’s a security alert. We’ve been requested to send out helicopters,” he said.

”It is a major response to a potential situation, rather than a known situation,” he added.

The Nimrod was dispatched to the area to oversee the helicopters’ operations.

The Safe Scandinavia is owned and operated by Oslo-listed company ProSafe. No one was immediately available for comment on the incident. — Reuters

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Gaseous explosion probably caused death of 21 young people at...

Expert says it will be a few weeks before a final determination is made on the cause of death

Eskom wage deadlock ends, setting SA back on course to...

This is according to Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan, who placed the blame for stage six load-shedding on unprotected strike action

Nearly 800 years later, the fires of the Benin bronze...

Ancient art has been carried out in the same street by smiths for dozens of generations

Pensioner again used in alleged multimillion-rand police corruption

Salamina Khoza’s RDP home in Soshanguve, Tshwane, emerged as the SAPS’s alleged fraud headquarters
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×