Madagascar cyclone kills 29 people

A cyclone that swept across Madagascar this week killed 29 people and left nearly 70 000 homeless or otherwise affected, local authorities said on Friday.

Dia Stivanley, spokesperson for the National Office for Management of Risks and Catastrophes (BNGRC), said 12 of the island’s 22 regions had been hit by Cyclone Ivan, a category-three storm, notably the rice-producing area of Alaotra Mangoro, 150km north-east of the capital, Antananarivo.

Nineteen of the 29 deaths occurred in that region and 15 000ha of rice fields were flooded.


Emergency services were hampered by breaks in telephone and road links in some areas, the BNGRC said.

Ivan, with winds gusting up to 230km/h, struck eastern Madagascar on February 17. It was the most destructive yet of the current cyclone season after Fame, which killed 13 people last month. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday