The South African National Editors’ Forum (Sanef) on Friday condemned alleged death threats made against South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) journalists.
”Sanef condemns the attack on SABC 2 weather presenter Tshidi Diphoko and the death threats against SABC political reporters Miranda Strydom and Sophie Mokoena,” it said in a statement.
According to reports, Diphoko was pistol-whipped and robbed in Braamfontein on March 22.
Days later a newspaper received an email apologising for Diphoko’s attack.
It read: ”Sorry to Tshidi, we mistaken her for Sophie Mokoena and Miranda Strydom [whom] we gonna kill.”
Sanef said it had taken notice that the SABC was taking the threats seriously and reported the matter to the police. It said it would monitor the situation.
Sanef said it was ”deeply concerned” about the safety of journalists, adding that 91 reporters had been killed worldwide in 2007, while six had been killed on duty this year.
”It also notes that a shot was fired at a newspaper editor as she slept at her home in Gauteng last year.”
Sanef said it deplored the violent targeting of journalists — presumably for their reporting activities — and called on the police to exert the utmost effort to find and arrest those responsible. — Sapa