Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Opec defers new oil supply cut as divisions emerge

Opec on Saturday deferred a decision on a new oil supply cut amid signs that Saudi Arabia and its Gulf allies are demanding tighter adherence to restraints put in place over the past two months.

Gulf producers want to see strict compliance with recent output curbs of two million barrels a day before considering further reductions when the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries meets in Algeria on December 17.

”Compliance I think is OK,” said Kuwaiti Oil Minister Mohammad al-Olaim. ”But the market conditions require us to be 100% compliant.”

Delegates said that ministers discussed how much more they needed to cut in December. Most, including all Gulf producers, saw a requirement to slice another one to 1,5-million bpd. But for that to happen, delegates said, Riyadh wants proof that all fellow members are meeting their part of existing curbs.

”We are very concerned about overproduction,” said Qatari Oil Minister Abdullah al-Attiyah.

While Opec’s first priority is to put a floor under a $90-collapse in oil prices to $55, Saudi Arabia for the first time in years identified a ”fair” price — $75 a barrel.

That target will serve as a reference point for traders when world oil demand starts to emerge from the current recessionary slump.

But for now, the oil market is focused on whether Opec can prevent prices falling further by avoiding the sort of divisions that have undermined its response to falling prices during previous economic downturns.

”$75 a barrel doesn’t look doable in the short term,” said Raja Kiwan of consultancy PFC Energy. ”Given the fractious nature of Opec on quota compliance, they may have some problems.”

Leaks?

Delegates identified Iran and Venezuela, perennial price hawks who have urged quicker cuts, as particular sources of concern. Venezuela denied the charge. Iran made no comment.

But consultants Petrologistics estimated last week that, based on shipping data, Iran’s production would fall by 80 000 bpd this month, much less than the 199 000 bpd it is due to cut.

Opec will want to keep any bickering over quota compliance under wraps.

Secretary general Abdullah El-Badri said compliance already was ”100%” and Opec president Chakib Khelil said in an official statement that members were ”fulfilling their commitments”.

Early industry estimates show Saudi Arabia and its Gulf neighbours making good their share of Opec’s two million bpd of cuts since September.

Petrologistics data estimated Opec output falling by 1,22-million bpd in November, with nearly half of that reduction shouldered by Saudi Arabia, although Riyadh is only responsible for about a third of Opec output.

But Opec may need to make larger cuts to balance the rapid decline in demand among Western economies that has caused inventories to swell. World oil demand is set to contract this year for the first time in 25 years.

”The bottom line is that they need to cut again and they need to cut substantially,” said Gary Ross, CEO of consultancy PIRA Energy. ”Demand is falling out from beneath them.”

Naimi said he would like to see inventory cover among OECD industrialised nations down to 52 days from current levels of 55-56 days of forward demand, the top of the seasonal norm.

Opec has a mixed record of dealing with downturns in the economy that curb energy demand.

In 2001 it successfully defended prices by removing five million barrels daily in four stages, 19 pct of its supply, laying the foundation for a 6-year boom in oil prices that culminated this summer in a record $147 a barrel.

But in 1997 in Jakarta, at the start of the Asian financial crisis, Saudi pushed through an Opec increase after Venezuela openly flouted its cartel supply quota by a large margin.

Prices went into a tailspin and US crude hit a low of $10,35 at the end of 1998. – Reuters

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

South Africa’s mothballed ‘supermall-ification’ sets strip malls up for success

Analysts agree that the country has enough malls and that, post-Covid, the convenience of local centres lure customers

Mabuza’s Russian jaunts and the slippery consequences of medical tourism

For more than five years the deputy president has remained steadfast in his right to travel abroad to receive medical treatment

More top stories

Deputy president Mabuza begs Tshwane voters: ‘Don’t abandon the ANC’

Angry Atteridgeville residents hurl insults at ‘dysfunctional’ ANC full of ‘corrupt individuals’ as Mabuza fails to placate them with party T-shirts and doeks

Taxi operators clash with cops over disputed Route B97 in...

Three suspects remain in custody following their arrest on charges of attempted murder and assault after eight taxis were impounded

SA teens, you’re next in the queue for a vaccine...

Teenagers between the ages of 12 and 17 will be able to register to receive their Covid-19 jab from 20 October. This group will be given only one dose of the Pfizer vaccine, for now

Former US secretary of state Colin Powell dies aged 84

The 84-year-old died as a result of complications from Covid-19
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×