Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Mugabe prepares new govt despite protests

Zimbabwe’s President Robert Mugabe has started preparations to form a government despite opposition objections, firing a dozen ministers from his Zanu-PF party to clear the way for a new Cabinet, state media said on Saturday.

The firing of nine ministers and three deputy ministers who lost their seats in March parliamentary polls is the clearest sign yet Mugabe may act on his threat to form a government without the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC).

Mugabe, MDC leader Morgan Tsvangirai and Arthur Mutambara, who heads a MDC splinter faction, signed a power-sharing pact on September 15 but it has been held up by a row over Cabinet posts.

Under the deal, Mugabe would remain president and Tsvangirai would become prime minister. But the MDC says a new government cannot be formed because Mugabe allocated powerful ministries to his Zanu-PF and relegated the MDC to a junior partner.

Tsvangirai last month turned down Mugabe’s invitation to be sworn-in saying several outstanding issues remained.

”What I can tell you is that President Mugabe has already started preparing an administration,” George Charamba, Mugabe’s spokesperson told the state-owned Herald newspaper.

”He is taking steps towards an early realisation of the formation of a new government as per the mandate given to him by all three parties to the dialogue.”

Analysts say a government without international support would be doomed and could deepen an economic meltdown and a humanitarian catastrophe, worsened by a cholera outbreak that has killed more than 1 600 Zimbabweans.

The United States has said it will no longer support a unity government headed by Mugabe. Britain, the former colonial power, says the 84-year-old leader should step down.

Mugabe’s party accuses Tsvangirai of taking instructions from London and Washington to sabotage the unity government, something the MDC denies.

Mugabe met Mutambara, leader of the MDC splinter faction, this week on the formation of a new government. Mutambara has in the past said he would not join a government without Tsvangirai.

”They did meet and agreed that the nomination of Cabinet ministers can only be done collectively by the leaders of the three parties, and so they resolved to do whatever is necessary to have a meeting of the three leaders,” Welshman Ncube, secretary general of the MDC faction told Reuters.

In the envisaged unity government — brokered by former South African president Thabo Mbeki — Zanu-PF will have 15 ministries, the MDC 13 and three will be allocated to Mutambara’s group. – Reuters

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Basic web lessons for South Africa: Government hacks point to...

Recent cyberattacks at the department of justice and the space agency highlight the extent of our naïveté

If the inflation-driving supply strain in the US lasts, it...

In South Africa, a strong trade surplus, buoyed by robust commodity prices, will cushion our economy against pressure arising from US policy

More top stories

Ramaphosa hits the right notes as he urges Cosatu to...

Cosatu meets to deliberate on its support for the governing party in the upcoming local government elections

DA insists IEC favoured the ANC after Constitutional Court dismisses...

The apex court’s dismissal of the Democratic Alliance’s application to declare reopening candidate registration unlawful came as no surprise

‘Factional’ ANC Veterans League chastised by Motlanthe

ANC Limpopo leaders called on the election committee to change the candidate lists in favour of Ramaphosa faction days before Motlanthe’s report on factions in the party

Sisters pave the way with ecobricks

The durable bricks are made from 30% recycled plastic, some of which they collect from a network of 50 waste pickers
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×