New efforts to reopen arms-deal inquiry

An attempt to get the arms-deal inquiry reopened is to be made in Wednesday’s meeting of the standing committee on public accounts (Scopa) in Parliament.

Eddie Trent of the Democratic Alliance (DA) said on Tuesday that Scopa has always maintained that any new information brought forward will be considered on its merits, and he believes that the submissions presented in tomorrow’s session will provide a compelling new case for the reopening of investigations into the arms deal.

“Scopa has in the past committed to reconsidering an independent investigation into the arms deal when “new evidence [is] brought to light”, Trent said.

“In order to set about obtaining and compiling new information, I invited members of the public to make submissions to Scopa on November 12 last year, and we have subsequently received wide-ranging and impressive testimony from many of the individuals most intricately involved in the arms deal,” he said.

He added that the new evidence includes various allegations of corruption which have emerged from and during the United Kingdom Serious Fraud Office’s investigation into the more than £110-million commission paid by BAE Systems, of which more than £75-million is believed to have been transferred to South African beneficiaries through a network of BAE front companies in the British Virgin Islands.

It also includes documentary evidence that the South African National Defence Force’s former head of procurement lied to Scopa, and has received $3-million from a successful bidder in the arms deal. “To date, no action at all has been taken against this individual,” Trent said.

He also intend to present affidavits recently submitted by prosecutors that reveal new information on the mechanisms used to pay bribes, and which led to raids on the premises of Fana Hlongwane and John Bredenkamp.

There are also unresolved anomalies concerning possible irregularities during the production of the Joint Investigation Report.

Trent admitted to worries that the ANC members of the committee might simply stay away from the meeting and so prevent it from going ahead.

“Delaying tactics have already cost the committee weeks of valuable time,” Trent said, “and it is now crucial that all parties commit to considering a matter that is manifestly of great public concern.” — I-Net Bridge

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Michael Hamlyn
Michael Hamlyn works from Cape Town. Late middle age journalist

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Review: Logitech Zone a headset to cancel out noise

The wireless headset is good for working at home and in the office

Future Females launches a new platform for women entrepreneurs

The company is introducing a course that includes the basics of entrepreneurship and how to run a business.

Covid-19 PPE looter Roshan Morar dies

Former Ithala boss was connected across ANC factions and administrations

Court invalidates Mkhwebane’s report on Ivan Pillay

It is the third report pertaining to Pillay that has been set aside by the high court
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×