To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
28 Jul 2009 17:23
Strike action at both the South African Broadcasting Corporation and Telkom has been brought forward, the Communication Workers’ Union (CWU) said on Tuesday.
The union said in a statement this action had been taken after requests from members.
“Our members at both Telkom and the SABC have run out of patience and requested their national leadership to allow them to bring forward the strike programme of action against these two employers,” the statement said.
CWU members employed at the national broadcaster would be “staying away” from work on July 29 and 30 countrywide, the union said.
The two-day stayaway would be followed by “other forms of industrial action” from the beginning of August until the “SABC respects and implements the multi-term salary agreement”.
The union said its members were determined to force the SABC “to respect agreements”.
The CWU has demanded an adjustment to salary scales and then a 7,5% raise at Telkom.
The company, however, first wants to implement the raise.
The SABC has offered a wage increase of between 9,25% and 10,25 %, while CWU members have requested a 12,2% pay hike.—Sapa
Create Account | Lost Your Password?