In a statement released on Tuesday, Caster Semenya said she would return to athletics on June 24 at an international meeting in Zaragoza, Spain.
In the statement Semenya said she had reflected on the events of the past week and has continued to take advice from her medical and legal advisors and those closest to her.
“I believe the decision to bar me from competing in Stellenbosch last week was unlawful and wrongful. I have, however, considered the request by Athletics South Africa (ASA) that I await the conclusion of the International Association of Athletics Federations’ (IAAF) processes by the beginning of June this year before I return to competitive athletics.
“I welcome ASA’s public statement it will ensure the IAAF is held to its undertaking to complete its processes by the beginning of June.
“I trust ASA will do the honourable thing and stick to its word in this regard. I have also instructed my legal representatives to seek confirmation from the IAAF that it will complete its processes by the beginning of June.
“I also trust that this will be forthcoming. Together with my coach and agent, I have therefore decided that I will return to competitive athletics at the EAA meeting to be held on June 24 in Zaragoza, Spain.
“I reiterate that based on medical and legal advice, I am firmly of the view there are no impediments to me racing in female athletics competitions,” the statement concluded. — Sapa