SABC appointment unlawful, says board

The appointment of Phil Molefe as the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) head of news was unlawful, the public broadcaster’s board said on Sunday.

“The SABC board resolved that the purported appointment of the group executive news and current affairs head, Mr Phil Molefe is null and void and has no legal effect,” spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said.

The statement follows a board meeting held on Saturday after Molefe’s appointment on Thursday. Molefe had been acting in the position for a year.

“In a special board meeting held yesterday [Saturday] the board heard legal opinion that the appointment was not lawful because it had not been made by the board in a manner required by the SABC’s memorandum and articles of association.

“The articles of association and delegation of authority framework states that appointments at a group executive level must be made by the board,” Kganyago said.


The ten members of the 12 member board who attended the meeting on Saturday agreed to continue with the “process of assessing candidates, which had not yet been concluded”.

“The decision taken by the board is not intended to harm or prejudice any candidate but is solely aimed at conforming to corporate governance rules.

“It should be stressed that the board regrets any embarrassment to any of the candidates for the position of chief executive news and current affairs,” he said.

‘No breach of corporate governance’
Ngubane said on Saturday that there was no “breach of corporate governance” in Molefe’s appointment.

“I believe that all processes were followed and there was no breach of corporate governance.”

Ngubane said he authorised the appointment because he felt that Molefe satisfied all requirements for the position.

“After considering all the factors before me that necessitated the speedy finalisation of this process, and after going to the SABC booklet on criteria for interviews, I made the decision … because he satisfied all the requirements as agreed to by all board members,” he said.

Meanwhile, opposition parties have also called on Ngubane to explain the exact processes followed in the appointment of Molefe.

“We need assurance that this is not another political appointment,” said Inkatha Freedom Party spokesperson Reverend Musa Zondi in a statement.

He said the party was “concerned” that the public broadcaster was again making the news for “all the wrong reasons”.

The Democratic Alliance said it would write to Parliament’s portfolio committee on communications to request the summoning of the SABC Board to appear urgently before the committee to account for the events of the past four days.

Spokesperson Lindiwe Mazibuko said: “If reports about Molefe’s appointment are accurate, then it is clear that due process has not been followed.

“The SABC board needs to move swiftly to avert a leadership crisis …” — Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Related stories

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my time’ — Mamodupi Mohlala

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

Editorial: Political meddling won’t save the SABC

For years, in moves that harked back to the repressive regime of the Nats, the public broadcaster has been used by the party as its political football in internal factional battles, or to censor dissent.

Unions cry foul over SABC dismissal costs and retrenchments

Broadcaster bodies say claims that a recent skills audit is unrelated to retrenchments are ‘irrational’

Political interference mounts over SABC retrenchments

The SABC says it needs to cut R700-million to survive. But senior politicians have allegedly interfered to stop retrenchments from proceeding

SABC staff ready to join picket line

The national broadcaster has rejected claims that it did not follow correct retrenchment and audit processes

SABC plans to retrench 600 employees

Broadcaster cites “poor sales effectiveness, ineffective commercial product, old pricing models and inadequate technology infrastructure” as driving cuts
Advertising

Subscribers only

Q&A Sessions: Frank Chikane on the rainbow where colours never...

Reverend Frank Chikane has just completed six years as the chairperson of the Kagiso Trust. He speaks about corruption, his children’s views and how churches can be mobilised

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

More top stories

‘Where the governments see statistics, I see the faces of...

Yvette Raphael describes herself as a ‘professional protester, sjambok feminist and hater of trash’. Government officials would likely refer to her as ‘a rebel’. She’s fought for equality her entire life, she says. And she’s scared of no one

Covid-19 stems ‘white’ gold rush

The pandemic hit abalone farmers fast and hard. Prices have dropped and backers appear to be losing their appetite for investing in the delicacy

Al-Shabab’s terror in Mozambique

Amid reports of brutal, indiscriminate slaughter, civilians bear the brunt as villages are abandoned and the number of refugees nears half a million

South Africa’s cities opt for clean energy

Efforts to reduce carbon emissions will hinge on the transport sector
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…