Security forces in Guinea clashed with several hundred youths protesting in the capital, Conakry, on Monday as tensions mounted before the deadline for the announcement of presidential poll results.
Full provisional results of the November 7 run-off poll, aimed at restoring civilian rule to the junta-ruled West African state, are due on Monday. Partial results so far show the two candidates neck-and-neck.
“We managed to disperse the demonstration,” said one senior police official of the unrest in two strongholds of former premier Cellou Dalein Diallo, who on Sunday cited evidence of fraud in some voting districts.
One witness, local resident Souleymane Bah, told Reuters he had heard two gunshots fired during the clashes but there was no official confirmation of that.
Diallo has 50,6% of the vote compared with 49,4% for rival Alpha Conde, according to a tally of results published so far by the electoral commission.
Diallo’s early lead has been whittled away as more results have been announced.
International observers have said the poll in the world’s top bauxite exporter appeared free and fair, but there is concern that the losing candidate will not accept the final result. — Reuters