Police watchdog to probe arrest of journalists

The Independent Complaints Directorate (ICD) is to investigate recent police action against two Sowetan journalists, the Democratic Alliance said on Tuesday.

Member of Parliament Dianne Kohler-Barnard said head of the police watchdog body Francois Beukman had confirmed this in a letter she received on Monday.

“The matter will be given the necessary attention and progress will be reported to you in due course,” Beukman wrote in the letter released by the MP.

Penwell Dlamini and Antonio Muchave were arrested by Hillbrow police on December 29 and their equipment was confiscated.

They were detained while covering a story on the eviction of nine families from Regal Court flats in the Johannesburg city centre.


Their cameras and cellphones were taken without apparent evidence that they interfered in the work of the police, Kohler-Barnard said.

The journalists were reportedly detained at the Hillbrow police station for about an hour.

Kohler-Barnard said this action appeared to have been unlawful.

“Section 69 of the SA Police Service Act provides parameters in which the police may legitimately limit photographic activity that may interfere with their work,” she said.

“From the evidence that has been presented publicly, it appears clear that no arrest could have taken place in terms of section 69 in this particular instance.”

Growing trend
Kohler-Barnard said the ICD investigation needed to shed light on why the arrests took place, and upon what basis the police had confiscated equipment.

She said the ICD also needed to find out why various police officials had given “completely contradictory accounts of why these events transpired”.

“On the one hand, police spokesperson Noxolo Kweza condemned these arrests as unacceptable; on the other, station commander Colonel Van Rhyn maintained that the arrests were perfectly legitimate.”

Kohler-Barnard said there appeared to be a growing trend of arbitrary police arrests of journalists.

“The arrest in August of Mzilikazi wa Afrika of the Sunday Times rightly created a national outcry, but the two arrests last week were treated in a far more low-key manner. We must be careful not to allow such events to become commonplace,” the MP said.

“If wrongdoing has transpired, then we need to ensure that disciplinary steps are taken against those who are responsible for what appears to be an abuse of police power on the free media.” – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

Pandemic hobbles learners’ futures

South African schools have yet to open for the 2021 academic year and experts are sounding the alarm over lost learning time, especially in the crucial grades one and 12

More top stories

Zuma, Zondo play the waiting game

The former president says he will talk once the courts have ruled, but the head of the state capture inquiry appears resigned to letting the clock run out as the commission's deadline nears

Disinformation harms health and democracy

Conspiracy theorists abuse emotive topics to suck the air out of legitimate debate and further their own sinister agendas

Uganda: ‘I have never seen this much tear-gas in an...

Counting was slow across Uganda as a result of the internet shutdown, which affected some of the biometric machines used to validate voter registrations.

No way out for Thales in arms deal case, court...

The arms manufacturer has argued that there was no evidence to show that it was aware of hundreds of indirect payments to Jacob Zuma, but the court was not convinced.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…