Government on Friday condemned the “unjustifiable” terror bombings in India in which 17 people were killed and more that 130 were injured two days ago.
“[We’ve] learnt with great shock about the news of the terror bombings, which killed and injured innocent lives in Mumbai on Wednesday.
“The government of South Africa condemns in the strongest terms these atrocious acts which cannot have any justification at all in an open and democratic society,” said Department of International Relations and Cooperation spokesperson, Clayson Monyela in a statement.
President Jacob Zuma extended his heartfelt condolences to the government and the people of that country, especially to the victims and their families, as they rebuild their lives and deal with the aftermath of these “horrendous acts”, he said.
No one has claimed responsibility since Wednesday’s series of bombings and there were still no prime suspects.
The bombings marked the worst terror attack in India since he 2008 siege, which killed 166 people and left more than 300 injured over three days.
There were several such attacks last year, including a blast at a packed restaurant in the western city of Pune which killed 16 people including several foreigners. — Sapa