Woods aims for Presidents Cup team

Tiger Woods says he is considering adding another tournament to his calendar, just five days after American Presidents Cup team captain Fred Couples criticised him for not playing enough golf.

“I might add another PGA Tour event to my schedule,” Woods said on Monday. “Right now I am looking at my options.”

Last week Couples said Woods needs to enter more tournaments to be considered for the US team.

Couples went on to say he would pull rank if he had to make sure Woods is at the top of his game by the time the tournament begins on November 14 in Melbourne, Australia.

“I’ve had some conversations with US captain Fred Couples and we’ll see how it goes. Of course I want to be on the team,” Woods said.


Woods failed to make the cut at the PGA Championship last week and also failed to make it into the FedEx Cup playoffs. The PGA Championship was just Woods’ second tournament in eight weeks.

Woods, who has played every Presidents Cup since he first became eligible in 1998, has already said he would play the Australian Open.

A new caddie
Woods also said he has narrowed down his choice of a new caddie to a few names.

“I haven’t decided on a new caddie yet,” Woods said. “But I am definitely thinking about it a lot. There’s a few guys I am looking at but it all depends on timing. At this point, I am in no hurry to make a decision.”

Woods recently shocked the golf world by firing his long-time New Zealand caddie Steve Williams. Together they had won 13 major titles.

Woods did not comment on the firing of Williams but he did list the job requirements.

“What am I looking for? Two things: A person with a lot of experience and a person I’ll have fun with,” Woods said.

Woods also didn’t say which tournament he might add to his schedule but he does plan on playing in the one day Notah Begay Foundation Challenge in New York on August 31.

“I also have trips to Asia and Australia and hopefully I’ll get picked for the Presidents Cup team,” Woods said. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday