Maldives denies luxury spas are fronting prostitution

Tourism officials in the Maldives on Monday denied that health spas at luxury holiday resorts operate as brothels after the facilities were shut down on government orders.

Last week the tourism ministry instructed resort hotels on the nation’s pristine coral islands to close all spas and health centres that offered beauty treatments and massages.

The crackdown followed protests by an Islamist party that claimed they were a front for prostitution.

“Sex tourism definitely does not happen in the resorts,” Sim Ibrahim, the head of the Maldives Association of Tourism Industry (MATI), said by telephone from Male.

“The ban is very disruptive, not helpful for tourism and bad for our country’s image. We have asked for legal clarity to protect an industry that has been in operation for 40 years,” he said.


At least 100 spas and health centres were shut immediately after the government announcement but Ibrahim said tourism was crucial for the national economy and that he hoped the ban would be overturned within days.

Home to some 330 000 Sunni Muslims, the Maldives’ reputation as a paradise holiday destination has come under pressure from a minority of religious fundamentalists who are growing in influence.

President Mohamed Nasheed recently rejected religious extremism and urged his people to support a “tolerant” form of Islam practised in the country for centuries.

Tourism Minister Mariyam Zulfa said a compromise was being considered.

“The government is not against the tourism business,” he said.

The opposition Adhaalath party, a conservative religious movement whose website features an article criticising “lustful music”, last month staged protests in Male accusing spas of being used as brothels. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC’s rotten apples on the chopping block

Now that the NEC has finalised its step-aside guidelines for those facing corruption charges, a swathe of officials will struggle to cling to their positions

Sisulu and Dlodlo punted to be on their way out

Because President Cyril Ramaphosa won the step-aside order in the ANC’s national executive committee, a cabinet reshuffle looms, with Sisulu and Dlodlo’s names on comrades’ lips

More top stories

More ethnically diverse bone marrow donors needed to save lives

The myth that regenerative stem cells are body parts has led to donor reluctance

Khaya Sithole: The real weapons of mass destruction

Ratings agencies and derivatives caused the housing bubble, but where does the next financial crisis lurk?

Analysts expecting another attack ‘in the next few months’ in...

The extremist insurgency in Mozambique has been an ongoing threat since 2017. SADC needs to act now, say analysts

SIU probes how master of the high court fleeces the...

While the SIU delves into dozens of allegations of fraud, corruption and misconduct against officials at the master of the high court, many families have been left destitute after the death of their loved ones.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…