NPA confident of securing ET murder conviction

The trial of two farmworkers accused of killing rightwing leader Eugene Terre’Blanche continues in the High Court sitting in Ventersdorp on Monday.

“Cross examination of [Captain Jan Louw] who visited the scene will continue and thereafter other witnesses will be called to lead further evidence,” National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Mthunzi Mhaga said on Sunday.

“We are still happy with the way proceedings are going so far.”

The NPA was still confident of securing a conviction, he said.

Chris Mahlangu and a minor are accused of beating and hacking the Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging leader to death in his farmhouse in the North West on Easter Saturday, April 2010. He was 69.


Both have pleaded not guilty to murder, housebreaking, and robbery with aggravating circumstances. Mahlangu claims he acted in self defence. The teenager has denied involvement in the crime.

Mahlangu made a last-minute application during his previous appearance on October 20 last year to be transferred to a police station in Pretoria so his family could visit him. Judge John Horn said he had no authority for such a transfer, and that Mahlangu should ask the police.

Breach of regulation
The court heard in October that no pathologist had been called to the crime scene, and that evidence could possibly have been removed from the body.
Not contacting a pathologist was a breach of regulation and “highly unusual”, pathologist Dr Ruweida Moorad told the court.

The mortuary manager was also not contacted.
Moorad said fluid resembling semen seen in photos of Terre’Blanche’s body may have been wiped off.

Defence attorney Norman Arendse suspected the semen may have been deliberately removed.
Moorad said the body had been refrigerated and her autopsy was carried out on April 6.

She said there were no acute injuries to Terre’Blanche’s rectum, and only a “linear abrasion” on his scrotum. There had been speculation, fuelled by Terre’Blanche’s being found with his pants down, that a sexual assault had taken place.

Terre’Blanche was most likely lying down when he sustained a chop wound to the head, which lacerated his brain, she said.

“It is my opinion that the injury to the head was the first injury, followed by the face, and then the chest and thighs,” said Moorad.

“Such an injury would have rendered the deceased unconscious at the time.”

Terre’Blanche sustained multiple fractures to, among others, his skull, ribs, and lower jaw. There were bruises and lacerations on several parts of his body, including his tongue and liver. All the injuries were on the front of his body.

Moorad found no “typical defence” injuries indicating Terre’Blanche attempted to fight off his attackers.

She agreed that Terre’Blanche’s wounds were consistent with those inflicted by a panga. — Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

Why crooks are shivering in their boots

Ace Magashule’s anxiety has to do with the array of arrests of high-profile people facing fraud and corruption charges

ANC’s North West troika clean-up flops

ANC regions in the province have ordered their mayors, chief whips and speakers to stay in office

More arrests expected in the R2.3bn VBS heist

Prosecutors tell the court that more people will be charged and additional charges will be added to the seven accused in a new charge sheet

Farmworkers’ children forgotten

They have been unable to return to their school in North West because the hostel is closed

The ANC’s clean-up mission is causing a standoff

ANC factions in several provinces are failing to abide by the dictates of the NEC’s decision that leaders who face corruption charges step aside from state and party posts
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Air pollution link in 15% of global Covid-19 deaths

Researchers have found that, because ambient fine particulate air pollution aggravates comorbidities, it could play a factor in coronavirus fatalities

Mboweni plans to freeze public sector wage increases for the...

The mid-term budget policy statement delivered by the finance minister proposes cutting all non-interest spending by R300-billion.

SAA to receive R10.5-billion government bailout after all

Several struggling state-owned entities received extra funds after the medium term budget policy speech

BMW X3 thrives in the M stable

The compact SUV is so at home with its new badge that’s it’s surprising it didn’t happen sooner
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday