UK foreign secretary labels Syrian violence ‘appalling’

British Foreign Secretary William Hague called the ongoing violence in Syria “appalling”, during a joint press conference on Monday with his South African counterpart.

Both Hague and International Relations Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane stressed the importance of the Arab League’s role in reaching an end to the bloodshed in the country.

Hague had earlier issued a statement, backing the urgent discussion of a call by Arab League foreign ministers on the United Nations Security Council to form a joint Arab-UN peacekeeping force to observe a ceasefire in Syria.

During the press conference in Cape Town, Hague said a peacekeeping force could save lives but would likely only be deployed once the government crackdown on protesters ended, local radio reported.

He also said soldiers for the force would not come from Western nations.


Negotiated solution
South African officials said Pretoria did not reject the idea of supporting a peacekeeping force in the future but for now remained focused on urgently reaching a negotiated solution to the crisis.

Mashabane and Hague also talked about bilateral trade between Britain and South Africa, which declined by more than a third during the global economic crisis, after growing 77.4% between 2001 and 2008.

The two also privately discussed other African countries in crisis, including Zimbabwe, the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Somalia.

An international conference on Somalia will be hosted by the British government in London on February 23, with more than 40 nations expected to attend.

During his trip to South Africa, Hague is expected to meet with the large Somali diaspora community in the country.

On Zimbabwe, Hague said the EU was reconsidering some sanctions and an announcement could be made soon. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts

Battle over R6bn workers’ retirement fund

Allegations from both sides tumble out in court papers

Nigeria’s anti-corruption boss arrested for corruption

Ibrahim Magu’s arrest by the secret police was a surprise — but also not surprising

Eskom refers employees suspected of contracts graft for criminal investigations

The struggling power utility has updated Parliament on investigations into contracts where more than R4-billion was lost in overpayments
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday