Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Malema promises to fight for land reform — at any cost

ANC Youth League president Julius Malema has once again weighed in on the land reform debate on Sunday, saying the league will take up the charge to return land to its “rightful owners”.

“The right-wingers are saying we don’t own parts of this country because they know the radical voice in the ANC is banned,” Malema told a meagre crowd of supporters at mini-rally the league organised in Soweto as part of their ANC centenary celebrations.

Malema was referring to controversial statements made by Freedom Front Plus leader Pieter Mulder in Parliament two weeks ago in which he claimed “bantu-speaking” black South African do not have a claim to up to 40% of South Africa’s land tracts.

President Jacob Zuma sternly rebuked Mulder in his reply to the state of the nation debate amid calls for the president to dismiss him as agriculture, forestry and fisheries deputy minister.

Land ownership is a thorny issue in South African politics, with government claiming that up to 87% of South Africa’s agricultural land is still in the hands of white farmers.

Government’s original plan to have 30% of disputed arable land diverted back to the black majority by 1999, has failed.

‘Rightful owners’
There are plans to speed up land reform, with a green paper on the issue being formed by the department of rural development and land reform to address outstanding issues.

The details contained in the green paper are unclear at this stage, and apart from Zuma stating the willing buyer, willing seller system is “not working” in his State Of The Nation address, government has remained mum on their exact mode of action.

However, Malema told supporters the youth league would take up the charge to return the land to its “rightful owners” as soon as possible.

“The settlers committed a black genocide and made the black land owners into slaves. We’ll pay whatever price for this land. If the leaders of this revolution are not prepared to fight for this land, the economic freedom fighters will,” Malema said.

Suspensions still looms
The youth league may find it difficult to enforce any meaningful program of land reform in its current position, as Malema and several other leaders are facing suspension and possibly expulsion from the ruling party.

Malema along with league spokesperson Floyd Shivambu and secretary general Sindiso Magaqa have been arguing in mitigation of their suspensions, which were handed down to them by the NDC in November last year.

Malema was suspended for five years, while Shivambu faces a three-year suspension after being found guilty of sowing divisions within the ANC.

Magaqa received an 18-month suspension from the party, which was suspended for three years.

The suspensions relate to comments made by Shivambu about regime change in Botswana as well as insulting a journalist; Magaqa’s suspension is for undermining the authority of Public Enterprises Minister Malusi Gigaba and Malema was sentenced for comparing President Jacob Zuma unfavourably to his predecessor, Thabo Mbeki.

After appealing the judgment, the ruling party’s NDCA upheld the suspensions, but ordered the NDC to hear mitigating arguments from the trio.

The ANC have also been allowed to argue mitigating factors, and have allegedly requested Malema to be expelled.

In reiterating calls for a political solution to the ensuing battle between the ANC and the league, Malema again reminded supporters the league was being “persecuted.”

“We and our families are being tortured by those calling themselves comrades. I thought it was only the boers that did that but there are people in the ANC out to make our lives difficult,” Malema said.

For more news and multimedia on ANC Youth League president Julius Malema click here.

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Nickolaus Bauer
Nickolaus Bauer is the Mail & Guardian's jack of all trades news reporter that chases down stories ranging from politics and sports to big business and social justice. Armed with an iPad, SLR camera, camcorder and dictaphone, he aims to fight ignorance and pessimism through written words, photographs and videos. He believes South Africa could be the greatest country in the world if only her citizens would give her a chance to flourish instead of dwell on the negativity. When he's not begging his sub-editors for an extra twenty minutes after deadline, he's also known to dabble in the occasional poignant column that will leave you mulling around in the depths of your psyche. The quintessential workaholic, you can also catch him doing sports on the weekday breakfast show on SAfm and presenting the SAfm Sports Special over the weekend.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

The basic income grant is surely on the horizon

It is becoming clear SA needs a BIG, as many ANC cabinet members, opposition parties and experts agree. But there is still dissent from some quarters

Bargaining council looks into complaint against Blade Nzimande

Two months before the long-serving higher education director general was suspended, he reported Nzimande to the bargaining council

More top stories

The basic income grant is surely on the horizon

It is becoming clear SA needs a BIG, as many ANC cabinet members, opposition parties and experts agree. But there is still dissent from some quarters

Bargaining council looks into complaint against Blade Nzimande

Two months before the long-serving higher education director general was suspended, he reported Nzimande to the bargaining council

Ace claims the state’s witness

The ANC’s suspended secretary general believes the state’s witness is, in fact, the defence’s witness

Taxi violence: Fight for survival in Cape Town’s dangerous turf...

The flare-up of the taxi war in the Western Cape has again shown the industry’s ability to hold commuters, the state and the local economy to ransom
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×