Basson lawyer strikes out at ‘incorrect’ claims

The hearing into apartheid-era chemical weapons developer Dr Wouter Basson hit a hurdle on Wednesday when his counsel accused the prosecution of making statements “without factual basis” during cross-examination.

Basson’s attorney Jaap Cilliers put it to the committee that pro forma prosecutor Salie Joubert made incorrect statements and that this should not be allowed as it contravened a ruling made earlier by the professional conduct committee of the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA).

The committee is hearing an inquiry into whether Basson, a practicing cardiologist, acted unprofessionally and unethically when he led a chemical weapons research unit under the apartheid government. If found guilty, Basson will lose his medical license.

On Tuesday, Joubert questioned Basson about the South African Defence Force’s development of untraceable weaponised mortars which contained CR teargas. These had been provided to Angolan rebel forces under Jonas Savimbi in the 1980s.

He then put it to Basson that these weapons were also used for riot control in South Africa, saying: “This is the type of chemical war on the population of this country that you supported as a doctor.”

Basson denied this.

‘Factual basis’
Cilliers argued that the statement should be withdrawn because “there was no suggestion of that in the facts before the committee”.

“He doesn’t have a factual basis for that statement; it is in any case irrelevant to the charge sheet before him,” said Cilliers.

One of the charges pending against Basson includes providing weaponised mortars to Savimbi but he has not been charged with using these mortars on the general population in South Africa.

Cilliers said that since news of these comments became public, both the defence force and former surgeon general Neil Knobel — who will be called to give evidence later during the inquiry — had “grave concerns” about these allegations.

He also complained that, following reports on the inquiry, Twitter pages had been created that stated Basson and the defence force had waged chemical warfare against the previously disadvantaged people of South Africa.

Cilliers argued that Joubert made reference to statements that Basson had made during the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) in an attempt to “create atmosphere”.

On Tuesday, Joubert told the committee that Basson had, in the past, said the TRC was a flawed process “not worth the paper it was printed on”. Basson said he stood by those statements.

According to Cilliers, a court order prohibited the use of anything Basson had said during the TRC and that regardless of this, the comments were irrelevant to the charges.

He said Joubert’s conduct had been “completely improper” and asked that he withdraw the statement.

But Joubert refused and countered that Cilliers’s allegations were unfounded.

Objections
He said he was entitled to use the chemical war comments as they were based on statements Basson, himself, had made during cross-examination. Cilliers contested this.

Joubert also argued that the defence had not raised any objections during cross-examination.

“I cannot recall any of these issues being raised at that point in time,” he said, adding, “My learned colleague, during the course of the night, has established that he has got problems here and now he endeavours to shift the blame.”

Joubert argued that Basson’s TRC comments were relevant because it “pertained to his attitude to ethics”.

He accused Cilliers of being unreliable and misleading the committee when he said these comments could not be used.

“It was stated by [Basson] in an interview in September 2011 that he had with Redi Tlabi [or] Direko of 702. It’s not what he said before the TRC,” he said.

Amid the he said, she said disagreement, the committee agreed to an adjournment to allow both parties time to examine the record of Tuesday’s proceedings.

The hearing continues.

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

‘Frustrated’ police resort to force

Regulation uncertainty leaves slap-happy police and soldiers to decide when people should or shouldn’t be allowed on the streets

Mail & Guardian needs your help

Our job is to help give you the information we all need to participate in building this country, while holding those in power to account. But now the power to help us keep doing that is in your hands

Press Releases

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders