Vettel back on top with Bahrain victory

Formula One champion Sebastian Vettel returned to the top of the standings on Sunday with Red Bull’s first victory of the season in a lively Bahrain Grand Prix that went ahead without incident despite protests against it.

The 24-year-old German’s 22nd career triumph, and first in the troubled Gulf kingdom, made him the fourth different winner in four races.

He was pushed hard in the closing laps by Finland’s 2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen, who finished second ahead of Lotus team mate Romain Grosjean in the Frenchman’s first appearance on the F1 podium.

Australian Mark Webber was fourth in the other Red Bull for the fourth successive race.

“It was a difficult race, extremely tough,” said Vettel, who closed his eyes and took a deep breath as he stood on the podium.


With the main grandstand half empty, and few spectators to be seen elsewhere at a circuit with a maximum capacity of 45 000, the race was a far from normal affair after days dominated by talk of petrol bombs and teargas.

There have been almost nightly clashes elsewhere on the island between anti-government protesters and riot police, and teams and organisers could breathe a sigh of relief that the race went off without trouble on the track.

Vettel, who had started from pole position for the first time this season after a record 15 starts from the top slot last year, made his trademark single-finger salute for the first time since last year after taking the chequered flag.

With fuel running low, he was then told to pull over and stop immediately at the pit exit — which meant he had to run down the pit lane to embrace his mechanics.

Vettel now has 53 points, ousting McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton from the top. The Briton, who finished eighth after two nightmare pitstops, has 49.

Red Bull also overtook McLaren in the constructors’ championship.

Germany’s Nico Rosberg, winner of the previous race in China in the first victory by a Mercedes works team since 1955, finished fifth with a stewards’ inquiry hanging over him for moves on Hamilton and Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso.

Britain’s Paul Di Resta was sixth for Force India with Alonso seventh and Brazilian team mate Felipe Massa finally in the points in ninth ahead of Germany’s seven-times champion Michael Schumacher in a Mercedes.

McLaren’s Jenson Button retired on the penultimate lap. — Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Esports offer a brave new world

With stadiums shut, clubs and leagues are turning to the video games to stay relevant

Covid-19 red cards major events

Sporting events, from football and tennis to rugby and cycling, on this year’s calendar are in doubt

F1 flirts with a return to SA

Motosport’s top competition is dropping hints of coming back, but would we want this to happen?

Formula One faces testing times over coronavirus

The F1 world championship, which gets under way in Melbourne on March 15, had already lost the Chinese Grand Prix from its schedule

Hamilton: Keep F1 where it’s popular

The British racing driver said he would prefer to see more stops in countries with a genuine racing tradition

Hamilton awaits F1 title as Raikkonen bags US Grand Prix

Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen took a first victory in over five years
Advertising

Subscribers only

Dozens of birds and bats perish in extreme heat in...

In a single day, temperatures in northern KwaZulu-Natal climbed to a lethal 45°C, causing a mass die-off of birds and bats

Q&A Sessions: Frank Chikane on the rainbow where colours never...

Reverend Frank Chikane has just completed six years as the chairperson of the Kagiso Trust. He speaks about corruption, his children’s views and how churches can be mobilised

More top stories

Eskom could be fined R5-million over pollution at Kendal power...

The power utility is being taken to court by the Minister of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries in a first-of-its-kind criminal prosecution

Hope grows on Durban beachfront

Ten homeless men who turned a vacant lot into an organic vegetable garden are now reaping the rewards of their toil

Shabnim Ismail bowls her way into the record books Down...

The night before Australia’s Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) final, fiery South African fast bowler Shabnim Ismail lay awake pondering how...

Hawks make arrest in matric maths paper leak

Themba Daniel Shikwambana, who works at a printing company, was granted bail and is due to return to court in January
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…