Report claims Iran army planned attack on Israeli diplomat

The Times of India, citing the police investigation, said five suspects were believed to have worked with a local Indian journalist to plan the attack which saw a hitman on a motorbike attach a magnetic bomb to an embassy car.

Interpol had already issued international arrest warrants for four of the suspects named in the report in March, but this is the first time it has been alleged they were members of the Revolutionary Guards.

"Details about the suspects have been shared with Iran," the newspaper said.

It named Houshang Afshar Irani, who lists his profession as a builder, as the mastermind of the attack and said he was also behind separate plots to kill Israelis in Thailand and Georgia at around the same time.

The main plotters were believed by police to have entered the country on tourist visas and left after the assassination attempt.

In March, veteran Indian freelance journalist Syed Mohammed Kazmi who worked part-time for Iran's news agency IRNA became the first person arrested in connection with the attack.

A 42-year-old Israeli diplomat, the wife of the defence attaché at the embassy, was badly wounded in the attack that took place near the prime minister's residence in the centre of the Indian capital.

Israel immediately blamed Iran for the attack.

Analysts speculated that Tehran was retaliating for a series of attacks on Iranian nuclear scientists which have been blamed on the Israeli secret service, Mossad. – Sapa-AFP

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa Afp
Guest Author
Advertisting

Tension over who’s boss of courts

In a letter, Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng questions whether Justice Minister Ronald Lamola has acted constitutionally

SABC sued over ‘bad’ clip of Ramaphosa

A senior employee at the public broadcaster wants compensation for claims of ‘sabotage’

Soundtrack to a pandemic: Africa’s best coronavirus songs

Drawing on lessons from Ebola, African artists are using music to convey public health messaging. And they are doing it in style

In East Africa, the locusts are coming back for more

In February the devastating locust swarms were the biggest seen in East Africa for 70 years. Now they’re even bigger

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories