Teen killed by riot police during Bahrain protest

Thousands rallied on Friday in an officially authorised protest called by the main opposition group al-Wefaq. But as the event ended around 100 demonstrators clashed with police, the group said on Saturday, which left a second young protestor dead in six weeks.

Witnesses on Friday said riot police used tear gas and stun grenades to disperse those demonstrators, who, the authorities said, were throwing petrol bombs and wielding iron bars.

The police described the incident after the protest as a "terrorist attack" on a security patrol that "targeted the lives of members of the patrol" late on Friday evening.

The police had defended themselves "according to their legal authority", a statement said, confirming one of the protesters had died.

Bahrain, headquarters of the US navy's fifth fleet, has been in turmoil since mass demonstrations started at the height of Arab Spring unrest last year, led by its Shi'ite Muslim minority.


The protests were put down by the Sunni monarchy which imposed martial law and invited Saudi Arabia to send troops in support.

Restraint
In mid-August a 16-year-old protester was killed in a similar incident, when police opened fire with birdshot during clashes after a demonstration, opposition activists said.

The opposition says more than 45 people have been killed in protests since martial law was lifted in June 2011. The interior ministry says protesters have injured more than 700 police officers and that the authorities have exercised restraint.

Al-Wefaq named the dead protester as 17-year-old Ali Hussain Nima and distributed photographs show a body covered in blood and flecked with birdshot wounds. The pictures could not be independently verified.

Bahrain and Saudi Arabia accuse Iran of fomenting the unrest in the island kingdom and among Saudi Arabia's Shi'ite Muslim minority, who mostly live in a province situated next to Bahrain. Iran denies the accusations.

The death comes a day after the UN Human Rights Council appointed a Bahraini as the Asia representative to its advisory committee. – Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Related stories

World leaders due in Saudi Arabia to offer condolences

Several leaders, including US President Barack Obama, will visit Saudi Arabia's new King Salman after the death of his predecessor, King Abdullah.

Bahrain activist to end hunger strike

Activist Abdulhadi al-Khawaja, facing a life sentence on charges of seeking to overthrow Bahrain's rulers, will end a 110-day hunger strike.

Vettel back on top with Bahrain victory

F1 champion Sebastian Vettel returned to the top of the standings with Red Bull's first victory of the season in a lively Bahrain Grand Prix.

Despite protests, Bahrain Grand Prix to go ahead

The Bahrain Grand Prix is poised to take off on Sunday despite calls for more protests and attempts to block roads to the race track.

Bahrain Grand Prix dogged by night-long clashes

The Force India team is considering pulling out of a Bahrain Grand Prix practice session after a night of clashes between police and protesters.

Saudi King prepares key appointments after heir dies

As Saudi Arabia mourns the death of Crown Prince Sultan, King Abdullah prepares to nominate his new heir.
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

DRC: Tshisekedi and Kabila fall out

The country’s governing coalition is under strain, which could lead to even more acrimony ahead

Editorial: Crocodile tears from the coalface

Pumping limited resources into a project that is predominantly meant to extend dirty coal energy in South Africa is not what local communities and the climate needs.

Klipgat residents left high and dry

Flushing toilets were installed in backyards in the North West, but they can’t be used because the sewage has nowhere to go

Nehawu leaders are ‘betraying us’

The accusation by a branch of the union comes after it withdrew from a parliamentary process
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…