Confusion over WCape school closures judgment

The provincial ANC caucus sent out a notice to the media and supporters that judgment would be handed down on Friday, based on a circular.

Court officials, however, set the record straight and said the court was in recess and no date had been set down.

Around 30 people affiliated to the Save our Schools campaign listened carefully as their leader apologised for the misunderstanding.

Some had travelled from Piketberg and Ceres, both more than 130km away. A man collected their placards and the group dispersed.

Closures
​Western Cape provincial minister Donald Grant announced last year that 27 schools faced possible closure for various reasons.


After representations were made at public hearings, he made the decision to close 18 schools and transfer pupils to "receiving schools".

One of the schools, Tonko Bosman Primary in Somerset West, agreed to the closure.

Seventeen school governing bodies and the South African Democratic Teachers' Union approached the court for a review of Grant's decision to close the schools.

The review application was heard last month and judgment was reserved. – Sapa 

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa
Guest Author
Advertising

Taxis and Covid-19: ‘The ideal doesn’t exist’

After months of complaining about the regulations imposed on the industry, taxi owners have been given a lifeline

Mask rules are not meant to ‘criminalise’ the public

Shop owners and taxi drivers can now refuse entry to people who defy mandatory mask-wearing regulations

Ramaphosa asks all South Africans to help to avoid 50...

Calling this ‘the gravest crisis in the history of our democracy’, the president said level three lockdown remains, but enforcement will be strengthened

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday