Tyson to new fighters: Never end up like me

Argenis Mendez of the Dominican Republic and Afghan fighter Arash Usmanee battled to a rare 12-round draw Friday night at the Turning Stone Resort Casino. Mendez (21-2-1) retained his IBF junior lightweight belt in the marquee attraction of Tyson's marketing debut. The embattled Tyson, a member of the Boxing Hall of Fame, has organised an outfit called "Iron Mike Productions," and his aim is to be a full-service agency for up-and-coming fighters, who can learn the sport, in and out of the ring, from one of the greatest.

Usmanee improved to 20-1-1 in the event, which was tabbed "Tyson Is Back," and featured some disappointed fans who felt Mendez won the bout. Iron Mike was one of them.

"I'm very grateful," Tyson said. "We had two sensational championship fights. I thought my fighter (Mendez) won his fight. It was a sensational fight, good for boxing, but horrible for my boxer. He's a great boxer."

In another bout, Jesus Andres Cueller (23-1) outlasted previously undefeated Claudio Marrero (14-1) to win the vacant World WBA interim featherweight championship.

But the story of the night was Mendez-Usmanee. Neither was knocked down in the bout, which was nationally televised.


'I'm not a magician'
"I'm really disappointed in the decision," said Mendez, whose nickname is "La Tormenta." "I'm the champion and I thought I won."

"It was a very close fight," Usmanee said. "It depends on how you judge a fight. I was the aggressor. It could have gone either way."

In other bouts, Eddie Paredes (34-3-1) posted his 12th consecutive victory, defeating Noe Bolanos (24-9-1); Alexei Collado (17-0) beat Guillermo Sanchez (13-10-1); Dorsett Barnwell (10-0) stopped Marlon Hayes (23-13) in the third round; and Antoine Douglas (9-0) recorded a win over Edgar Perez (5-6).

Tyson says he's ecstatic to be back in the sport. He says his fighters -like Mendez – won't be subjected to what he went through in his heyday, and that you can expect more cards like his first.

"When I first got involved, I just didn't know," Tyson said. "Never in a thousand years did I plan on doing it. I'm just happy to be back involved in boxing. It's a dream come true. I'm a little nervous."

Tyson, 47, who has battled addiction and depression, and has lost millions of dollars through the years, hopes to provide his fighters with a structured environment for success, and to be able to help them learn from his mistakes.

"You're never going to hear them say 'Mike Tyson stole from me.' Hopefully, they'll never end up like me," he said. "I'm not a magician. The only thing I can do is suggest – go in the right direction. We have to look for happiness within.

"I can't stop somebody from hurting themself." – Sapa-AP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa Ap
Guest Author

Related stories

Mike Tyson to hit TV screens

Mike Tyson is going back to pay TV, where his fights were some of the biggest moneymakers in boxing history.

Mike Tyson takes a shot at playing Othello

Former heavyweight champion has set his sights on Shakespeare after wrapping up his one-man stage show called "Undisputed Truth".

Mike Tyson: The cat among the pigeons

Baddest of the bad boys Mike Tyson does not do small talk -- unless it is all about him, of course. <b>John Crace</b> caught up with him.

Emotional Iron Mike inducted into Boxing Hall of Fame

The out-of-control character Mike Tyson once was is dead now, and he tries to bury his former persona even deeper every time he opens his mouth.

No ‘peaceful protest’ at Tyson dinner

An organisation formed by women's rights activists in response to Jacob Zuma's rape trial has been denied an opportunity to hold a "peaceful protest" outside the Emperors Palace casino complex in Gauteng where visiting boxing champion Mike Tyson is to attend a charity fund-raising event.
Advertising

Subscribers only

Q&A Sessions: Frank Chikane on the rainbow where colours never...

Reverend Frank Chikane has just completed six years as the chairperson of the Kagiso Trust. He speaks about corruption, his children’s views and how churches can be mobilised

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

More top stories

Shabnim Ismail bowls her way into the record books Down...

The night before Australia’s Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) final, fiery South African fast bowler Shabnim Ismail lay awake pondering how...

Hawks make arrest in matric maths paper leak

Themba Daniel Shikwambana, who works at a printing company, was granted bail and is due to return to court in January

Andile Lungisa: Early parole for the house of truth

Disgraced Nelson Mandela Bay councillor Andile Lungisa calls for a change of leadership in the ANC immediately after being released on parole

War of words at Zondo commission: ‘Grow up Mr Gordhan,...

The cross-examination of the public enterprises minister by Tom Moyane’s lawyers at the state capture inquiry went on well into overtime on Monday evening
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…