SABC cites ‘editorial oversight’ as reason for pulling ‘Big Debate’

The SABC said on Thursday The Big Debate was incorrectly commissioned, which is why it had to be cancelled.

"The Big Debate, which is a current affairs programme, was incorrectly commissioned by SABC2 and in so doing, the editorial oversight, which is the responsibility of the newsroom, was compromised. This is all we are prepared to say about the matter."

"It is against the policies of the SABC to outsource news and current affairs. Editorial responsibility for all news and current affairs content is vested in the newsroom," said SABC's head of group communications Kaizer Kganyago on Thursday. 

On Thursday, it was reported that the popular talk show was pulled off air at the 11th hour, apparently by the national broadcaster's controversial chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng.

The show's creators were informed on Thursday, hours before it was due to be screened, that the acclaimed town hall debate show has been dropped.

The Big Debate host Siki Mgabadeli was at the time outraged by the decision to cancel the show after the first two episodes had already been recorded.

'The programme will not be aired'
"We informed the SABC that the first episode was ready for viewing. They kept saying we'll get back to you – but didn't," Mgabadeli told the Mail & Guardian.

"Then we noticed the repeats of the show on a Saturday morning stopped airing. It was surprising but we first thought it was just a scheduling problem.

"Then we received an email a few days ago from SABC2 commissioning editor Nhlanhla Hlongwane, saying they couldn't give us a date for the screening because the programme will not be aired. No explanation was given. We were told informally that the instruction came from Motsoeneng. Since then we've requested meetings with the SABC but we've had no feedback."

The Big Debate is described on its website as a "show that travels the length and breadth of South Africa, holding our leaders to account and giving a voice to ordinary residents and communities".

'Topics are not a surprise'
"I don't think it was about the content of the show because they wouldn't have seen the content for the new season," said Mgabadeli.

"The topics are not a surprise to the SABC. They know what the show is about.

"We've always had a good response to the show. We've even had ministers like Aaron Motsoeledi and Enver Surty say it's a great show. We've had letters from all over the world congratulating us," said Mgabadeli.

"We are funded by the Foundation for Human Rights, so it's their money that has been spent. We'll continue shooting. If we can't get an answer from the SABC and if the show cannot be aired, then we will reconsider our position."

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Noxy Goyi’s story of survival is one of a woman’s...

The breadwinner lost her job and, desperate not to sit at home, she started selling food on the street on a table made of bread crates. Now she employs two people

Three ‘gringos’ brave heat, mosquitos, illegal gold miners and pirates...

A Wits University accounting professor has returned from his Amazon expedition he undertook to fight climate change

Fintech firms ramp up investments in Kenya’s microfinance space

Kenya’s microfinance banks are the target of fintech firms from abroad seeking to sidestep stringent regulatory perimeters for digital lenders

Harbour views at 9th Avenue Waterside

The award-winning eatery, which offers fine wines and food, is on stilts at Durban’s harbour
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×