Kim puts brakes on Man United’s top four hopes

South Korean midfielder Kim Bo-kyung's dramatic stoppage-time equaliser earned Cardiff City a 2-2 draw that prevented Manchester United from climbing into the Premier League's top four on Sunday.

United, who had seen Wayne Rooney controversially escape a red card, were on course for the Champions League places until Kim stole in to head home a Peter Whittingham free-kick in the 91st minute.

Surprise 3-2 victors over Manchester City earlier in the season, Cardiff inched three points clear of the bottom three thanks to Kim's goal, while United were left in sixth place, seven points behind leaders Arsenal.


Rooney angrily kicked out at Jordon Mutch in the early stages of the game in Cardiff, but referee Neil Swarbrick only showed him a yellow card and in the 15th minute the England striker put United ahead.

Antonio Valencia's right-wing centre was flicked on by Javier Hernandez to Rooney, who turned inside and let fly with a shot that beat goalkeeper David Marshall via a deflection off Gary Medel.

Furious
Cardiff's fans were furious that Rooney had been allowed to stay on the pitch, but they saw their side draw level in the 33rd minute with a beautifully constructed goal.

Medel found Whittingham, who helped the ball on to Mutch, and the recipient of the kick from Rooney released former United striker Fraizer Campbell to beat goalkeeper David de Gea with a first-time finish.

The hosts' joy was short lived, however, as Patrice Evra restored the champions' lead on the stroke of half-time when he headed home from Rooney's left-wing corner.

In response, Campbell saw a feathery chip come back off the bar, but United looked to have escaped until they gave away one free-kick too many and Kim dispatched Whittingham's centre to send the stadium into raptures.

For United, extending their unbeaten run to 10 games provided scant consolation, particularly as Kim's goal prevented them from supplanting Manchester City in the top four.

Tottenham vs Manchester City
Manuel Pellegrini's side had reasserted their title credentials earlier in the day by humiliating Tottenham Hotspur 6-0 at the Etihad Stadium.

Beaten 1-0 by Sunderland in their last outing, City took the lead through Jesus Navas after only 14 seconds and did not look back.

The Spanish winger deftly lobbed Spurs goalkeeper Hugo Lloris after the Frenchman had gifted the ball to Sergio Aguero with a loose kick, and an own goal from Sandro in the 34th minute made it 2-0.

Aguero claimed a brace either side of half-time, tucking away centres from Navas and Yaya Toure, to take his tally of goals to 14 in his last 11 City appearances.

Alvaro Negredo added a fifth in the 55th minute, flummoxing Michael Dawson with an audacious turn and lashing a left-foot shot past Lloris, before Navas completed the rout in injury time.

"It is impossible to play better than today.

We are working to have one style of playing and to continue in the same way," said City manager Pellegrini.

"We're thinking just about each game. Now we play in the Champions League on Wednesday [against Viktoria Pilsen] and after we see what happens with other teams, how many points they drop, and I'm absolutely sure we will also win matches away."

'Heavy price'
Victory preserved City's 100% home record in the league this season and having annihilated Norwich City 7-0 in their last fixture at the Etihad, they have now scored 13 goals without reply in their last two home games.

Pellegrini's side finished the weekend a point above United in fourth place, while Spurs slipped to ninth.

Andre Villas-Boas's men had only conceded six goals all season prior to their trip to Manchester and although they are only two points below City, they have now gone three games without victory.

"Everything went wrong for us, every opportunity was a goal and we paid a heavy price – too much for what we deserved," said Villas-Boas.

"City were excellent, and we were extremely poor. We have to be ashamed of ourselves, and react to a defeat like this." – AFP 

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Related stories

Premier League’s opening madness may well shatter our preconceptions

Thanks to several unique circumstances, this season will likely confound everyone, from pundits to economists

Expect no charity from football’s elite

We should let go of the hope that our favourite clubs are going to act altruistically in English football’s looming financial crisis

The Premier League returns: Strange times, stranger football

English football is set for (another) defiant return, bringing with it several bizarre subplots

Lampard vs Arteta: Managers of a forgotten generation

Two of football’s youngest coaches are competing for one of its highest honours. This tells us something about how the Premier League appoints manager

Lala kahle Kaunda Ntunja

South African rugby has lost a gentle giant in Kaunda Ntunja. His commentary in isiXhosa poetically ushered in the Springboks’ first black captain and ‘popped champagne’ after Mapimpi’s magic

Manchester City CAS ruling counts for everything and nothing

It may leave a sour taste in the mouth, but the lack of sanction for Manchester City, aside from a fine that amounts to small change, doesn’t affect the bigger picture
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

DRC: Tshisekedi and Kabila fall out

The country’s governing coalition is under strain, which could lead to even more acrimony ahead

Editorial: Crocodile tears from the coalface

Pumping limited resources into a project that is predominantly meant to extend dirty coal energy in South Africa is not what local communities and the climate needs.

Klipgat residents left high and dry

Flushing toilets were installed in backyards in the North West, but they can’t be used because the sewage has nowhere to go

Nehawu leaders are ‘betraying us’

The accusation by a branch of the union comes after it withdrew from a parliamentary process
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…