Fraud case for NYDA’s Lungisa and co postponed

Former National Youth Development Agency (NYDA) head Andile Lungisa, his wife and two others appeared briefly in the Johannesburg Specialised Commercial Crime Court on Thursday.

The matter was postponed to March 31.

Lungisa and his co-accused – his wife Ursula Sali, and Xolisile Guquza and Thabo Shogolo – face charges of fraud and money laundering. The four allegedly accepted and shared among themselves R2.5-million paid by the arts and culture department for the Nelson Mandela Sports Day concert. They allegedly promised that US singer R Kelly would perform at the concert, but he did not.

Previously, Lungisa and Shogolo were granted bail of R10 000 each, Guquza was granted bail of R5 000, and Sali was released on a warning.

They were arrested in October, after handing themselves in to the Hawks.


At the time of the concert, the department said it had entered into negotiations with the promoter of the R&B singer's recent tour to South Africa.

'We will get our money back'
It was subsequently announced that the star was on the bill for the music concert that would follow the day's sporting events.

But it was discovered that R Kelly's management had been unaware of the agreement, and he had departed the country as planned.

Meanwhile, the arts and culture department said on August 15 that it would get back its money paid for R Kelly to perform.

"We will get our money back," arts and culture department spokesperson Mack Lewele said at the time.

Sports and Recreation Minister Fikile Mbalula in August said a few individuals, who he did not name, wanted to get rich "in a split of a second" by lying to the department.

"This was a scheme by people who wanted to get rich quickly," he told reporters during a briefing at FNB Stadium about the inaugural Nelson Mandela Sport and Culture Day.

"I do not think R Kelly would have shunned performing for Madiba … but he will not be here. The show will continue with the rest of the line-up."

Festival
In December 2010 the NYDA organised the 17th World Festival of Youth and Students. The R106-million event was marred by promised events that did not happen.

Later it transpired that artists were billed for the festival but had not even been approached to perform, just as ministers who were billed as speakers. Amounts totalling R250 000 were spent on party supplies like balloons and confetti but there was a shortage of food.

Nevertheless then-chairperson Lungisa spoke of "a resounding success".

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

ANC’s ‘moral crisis’ will foil W Cape hope

Former premier Ebrahim Rasool says voters will abandon the party until corruption is arrested

Convict Andile Lungisa resists calls to quit city council

Former youth league leader Andile Lungisa cites ANC constitution, and argues assault is not corruption in a bid to keep his party membership

Zandile Gumede’s backers spoil ANC clean-up

The governing party appears to be struggling to enforce the ban on support for leaders facing criminal charges

Cyril braces for Ace camp’s big flex

Ramaphosa’s anti-corruption drive will see him targeted at the ANC NEC’s meeting this weekend

A net to catch the NEETs

A decade of reconstruction looms post-Covid. This is our chance to restructure the economy to build a more inclusive one

Young people must help design a youth employment plan

A six-point plan will help to drive the president’s youth employment intervention but it is essential that the experiences of young people are prioritised in its design and delivery
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Eastern Cape universities concerned by rising Covid cases

Fort Hare says 26 more students have tested positive while Walter Sisulu University says some of its students have been admitted to hospital.

SAA in talks to recoup R350-million in blocked funds...

The cash-strapped national carrier is in the process of recouping its blocked funds from Zimbabwe, which could go towards financing the airline’s business rescue plan

NSFAS’s woes do not help its mandate

Nehawu wants the scheme’s administrator, Randall Carolissen, to be removed

Unions cry foul over SABC dismissal costs and retrenchments

Broadcaster bodies say claims that a recent skills audit is unrelated to retrenchments are ‘irrational’
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday