State funds will foot land claim bills

State funds will be used for the billions of rands needed each year for the next 15 years to settle new land claims, Land Reform Minister Gugile Nkwinti said on Wednesday.

"It will be funded through the fiscus," he told members of Parliament's rural development and land reform portfolio committee.

"Treasury has actually underscored the fact that this is a government programme.It does not require a stand-alone budget; it requires a normal budget," he said.


Earlier, the committee heard that an estimated 397 000 valid land claims might be lodged when the Restitution of Land Rights Amendment Bill, which aims to extend the cut-off date for lodging a claim for restitution, is enacted.

Chief land claims commissioner Nomfundo Gobodo told MPs: "It may cost R129-billion to R179-billion to settle these claims, if settled within a 15-year period."

This is equivalent to between R8.6-billion and R11.9-billion a year. The amendment Bill, once it has been passed into law, will re-open the land claims process for a five-year period, to end on December 31 2018.

Claims window
The first claims window closed in 1998. Democratic Alliance MP Kevin Mileham wanted to know where the money would come from for the new claims.

"I'd like to hear … where we are going to find an additional between R8.6-billion and R11.9-billion per annum over the medium to long-term [15 years]. Where are we going to find the money to settle land claims?"

His party colleague, Mpowele Swathe, raised similar concerns, and queried whether people's hopes were being raised ahead of the May 7 election.

Nkwinti denied the re-opening of land claims was an election promise.

"The re-opening of land claims is not an election promise. Land is at the heart of the national liberation struggle of our country.

"We are talking about a national grievance when we talk about land restoration to its own people. This is a national grievance … We are not playing games here. South Africans, until this question is settled fundamentally, your children will never be free."

He called on MPs not to treat the matter lightly.

Outstanding
According to a document tabled by Gobodo at the briefing, in June last year there were 8 733 outstanding land claims from the first (up to 1998) window period.

Well over half of these are in Mpumalanga and KwaZulu-Natal.

Nkwinti said outstanding claims would be processed alongside new claims.

"We will simultaneously process the old and the new [claims]. We will do that simultaneously. We won't wait until 2017, or to 2019, to process the new claims.

"We will do [them] simultaneously, but we will prioritise the 1998 claims for payment. We will pay any claim that is ready for payment, irrespective of when it was lodged," he said. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

All mahala say claimants in R1-billion Mala Mala land claim

Endless court cases and threats plague community of South Africa’s most costly restitution settlement

Sisulu takes a win in the battle of the boards

Suspended Lepelle Northern Water chief executive Phineas Legodi loses another court battle

Sisulu axes another water board

Umgeni Water’s board in KwaZulu-Natal was appointed irregularly by her predecessor, the water and sanitation minister claims

R1.1-billion land claim ‘captured’

This story was produced in partnership with Pulitzer Center. Details of the land claim settlement for MalaMala, one...

Public Protector ‘played chess with the country’

A labour dispute between Busisiwe Mkhwebane and her former chief operating officer has laid bare allegations of political interference

Bid to appeal Nkwinti order

The public protector says an interim order to prevent the release of her report is ‘an intrusion by courts’
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

WSU suspends classes and exams to avoid the spread of...

The university says it has to take the precautionary measures because 26 students have tested positive on its East London campus

Entrepreneurs strike Covid gold

Some enterprising people found ways for their ventures to survive the strictest lockdown levels

Ithala backs its embattled chairperson

Roshan Morar is being investigated in connection with KwaZulu-Natal education department backpack sanitiser tender worth R4-million and a batch of face masks that vanished

Emery Mwazulu Diyabanza: Liberating Africa from land of liberté

The cultural and political activist is on a quest to bring looted treasures back home
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday