Moyes dismisses Man U job rumours

Manchester United manager David Moyes on Tuesday brushed off suggestions that his position will be under threat if his side do not overcome Olympiakos in the Champions League on Wednesday.

Having lost the first leg of the last 16 tie 2-0 to the Greek side, United are on the brink of elimination and are seeking to become only the sixth team to overturn a two-goal deficit in the competition's knockout phase.

They are also struggling to qualify for next season's Champions League, having fallen 12 points below the top four in the Premier League after Sunday's 3-0 loss at home to Liverpool, and are out of both domestic cup competitions as well.


The team's struggles prompted reports in British newspapers on Tuesday that Moyes could be at risk of losing his job if United are eliminated by Olympiakos, but he insists that his position is secure.

"My future has not changed one bit," he told reporters during Tuesday's pre-game press conference at Old Trafford.

"I have a great job, and I know the direction I want to go in. We know we have put ourselves in a poor position, but we have belief." 

Assurance
Asked if he had been given assurances by the United hierarchy that his position was not under threat, Moyes replied: "The biggest assurance is they will let me get on with the job.

"We never discuss it [his future]. I have a six-year contract. This club does not work on short-term vision, it works on a long-term vision."

United's supporters continued to provide vocal backing to the team during the chastening loss to Liverpool and Moyes declared that he is capable of restoring their team to former glories.

"The fans have seen some defeats they would not have expected and they have stuck with the team," said the former Everton manager.

"They have seen great success and will see great success in the future. This club is the biggest in the world and it will rise again." – AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How smuggled gold destined for Dubai or Singapore has links...

Three Malagasy citizens were apprehended at OR Tambo International airport, but now the trail is found to connect to France and Mali

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

More top stories

R2.3bn VBS trial expected to only begin in 2022

The state is expected to request a 16 week-long trial, as delays stymie progress in the saga.

Spy boss tells how agency was used to detain Zuma’s...

Day two of State Security Agency testimony at the Zondo commission birthed more revelations that point to the former head of state and agents breaking the law

Covax will take excess doses of Covid vaccines off the...

The global initiative plans to deliver two billion doses of Covid-19 vaccines to developing nations

Eastern Cape citizens don’t have to visit the labour department...

This measure, aimed at slowing the spread of Covid-19, may shortly be introduced in other regions.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…