SA won’t host Afcon should Morocco withdraw – Mbalula

South Africa is not ready to host the Africa Cup of Nations in January if Morocco withdraws because of the Ebola epidemic, Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula said Monday.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has reportedly approached South Africa, Ghana and five others countries ahead of a November 2 meeting to decide on the future of the continent’s premier football event.

But the minister tweeted: “Hosting Afcon [Africa Cup of Nations] is a NO NO.” He told South African media that the country had a responsibility to help fight the Ebola epidemic that has killed more than 4 500 people, mainly in West Africa, with the United Nations predicting a surge in deaths and cases.

“Even before taking the matter to cabinet, I can tell you unambiguously and categorically that hosting is a no no,” he told South African media. “We do not have a ready-made abundance of resources to be shifted to Afcon. We did it [in 2013] in solidarity with Libya last year. Our budget cycle will not allow us to host the [2015] Afcon. It is totally impossible. We would like to give this one a pass.”

Mbalula added: “We will share the responsibility to fight Ebola – we are not immune to that. “We must be prepared to share our skills, our doctors, to reinforce the research to find a vaccine.”

‘Emergency’ hosts
South Africa were among seven countries sounded out by the CAF as possible replacements should Morocco pull out. The republic has twice been “emergency” hosts of the competition, replacing cash-strapped Kenya in 1996 and strife-torn Libya last year.

South Africa has world-class stadia having become the first African hosts of the World Cup four years ago. Ghana has also been approached by CAF, according to the sports minister of the west African country.

The identities of the other five countries have not been officially revealed.

Moroccan government officials said last weekend they wanted the January 17 to February 8 tournament postponed because they feared a spread of the deadly Ebola virus. But Cairo-based CAF reacted swiftly, saying the 16-nation tournament should go ahead as planned, in a different country if necessary.

Most of the deaths from Ebola have been in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. CAF has barred Guinea and Sierra Leone from hosting Nations Cup qualifiers. Liberia were eliminated in the preliminary rounds.


Guinea stage home fixtures in Moroccan commercial capital Casablanca.

Sierra Leone, having failed to secure a neutral venue, had to play home games against the Democratic Republic of Congo and Cameroon in Lubumbashi and Yaounde respectively.

CAF officials are scheduled to discuss the Ebola crisis at the November 2 meeting in Algeria and travel to Morocco the following day for make-or-break talks. Should Morocco withdraw and more than one country offers to be take over as hosts, a draw will decide who stages the three-week African football showpiece. – AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Where is the deputy president?

David Mabuza is hard at work — it’s just not taking place in the public eye. The rumblings and discussion in the ANC are about factions in the ruling party, succession and ousting him

Zuma turns on judiciary as trial nears

Former president says pre-trial correspondence is part of another plot

High court declares Dudu Myeni delinquent

Disgraced former SAA chairperson Dudu Myeni has been declared a delinquent director by the...

SANDF inquiry clears soldiers of the death of Collins Khosa

The board of inquiry also found that it was Khosa and his brother-in-law Thabiso Muvhango who caused the altercation with the defence force members
Advertising

Press Releases

Obituary: Mohammed Tikly

His legacy will live on in the vision he shared for a brighter more socially just future, in which racism and discrimination are things of the past

Openview, now powered by two million homes

The future of free-to-air satellite TV is celebrating having two million viewers by giving away two homes worth R2-million

Road to recovery for the tourism sector: The South African perspective

The best-case scenario is that South Africa's tourism sector’s recovery will only begin in earnest towards the end of this year

What Africa can learn from Cuba in combating the Covid-19 pandemic

Africa should abandon the neoliberal path to be able to deal with Covid-19 and other health system challenges likely to emerge in future

Coexisting with Covid-19: Saving lives and the economy in India

A staggered exit from the lockdown accompanied by stepped-up testing to cover every district is necessary for India right now

Covid-19: Eased lockdown and rule of law Webinar

If you are arrested and fined in lockdown, you do get a criminal record if you pay the admission of guilt fine

Covid-19 and Frontline Workers

Who is caring for the healthcare workers? 'Working together is how we are going to get through this. It’s not just a marathon, it’s a relay'.

PPS webinar Part 2: Small business, big risk

The risks that businesses face and how they can be dealt with are something all business owners should be well acquainted with

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday